This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

The winter is officially over, which means the days of crop tops and sundresses are once again upon us. If the harsh Storrs winter left your skin in need of some extra TLC, check out these easy ways to make your skin softer, smoother, and summer ready in no time! 

1. Stay hydrated

Drinking enough water is one of the most important things you can do for your skin. Your body will have hard time healing dryness if you’re not staying hydrated. Drinking the recommended amount of water everyday was always a struggle for me- until my roomie recently showed me the app Plant Nanny. A cute little plant reminds you throughout the day to take a drink, so there’s no excuse for not being hydrated anymore! Your skin will thank you.

2. Use a good cleanser

After a winter in Connecticut, your skin is probably in need of some real TLC, so choose a body wash that’s moisturizing but gentle. Harsh chemicals (like those in products for fighting breakouts) can leave you skin drier than when you started. There are so many great products out there, so it shouldn’t be hard to find one that works for you. For a cheap drug store option you can try Nivea Serenity body wash because it’s moisturizing and smells amazing. If you’re willing to spend a little more money, companies like Lush Cosmetics make tons of amazing vegan skin products that can do wonders for your skin.

3. Exfoliate

Rough skin is usually caused by a buildup of dead skin cells on the surface of your skin, which is very easily fixed by exfoliating. Invest in a loofah, and avoid exfoliators that contain microbeads- their really bad for the environment.

DO exfoliate before shaving. This gets rid of the dead skin that would otherwise get in your razor, allowing for a closer and smoother shave.

DO NOT use an exfoliator as your everyday cleanser. Over-exfoliating can cause irritation, so limit the exfoliation to one to two times a week, or once every two weeks if you’re skin is especially sensitive.

4.  Moisturize

After you get out of the shower, it’s important to lock the moisture from the shower into your skin. Pat dry (don’t rub) with a towel and apply a moisturizer while your skin is still damp.  

DO avoid products with unnatural fragrances and chemicals added in. Look for products that are marketed specifically towards healing dry skin, like Origins or Eucerin products.

DO NOT use too much product or moisturizers that are too thick, it will leave your skin looking greasy and oily.

5. Use sunscreen

While sun damage may not be affecting your skin right now, it will catch up with you as you get older. You should try to apply sunscreen everyday to protect your skin from any sun damage, even if you are not very susceptible to sunburns. At the very least, opt for moisturizers and makeup with SPF in them- they will offer you some very necessary protection.