5 Disney Channel Originals to Binge Immediately on Disney+

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Last week, Disney launched their first streaming service, Disney+. For $7 a month, users have access to pretty much anything they could possibly want: Every television show, Disney Channel Original Movie, Pixar film, Disney short, Pixar short, and National Geographic documentary. It’s been over a week and I’m still not over it.

With so many options available, it’s completely understandable if you’re overwhelmed. I literally spent 5 hours trying to decide on what to watch first when I signed up (I settled on Tangled, if you were wondering). So for those who are looking for guidance on what to watch, here’s a list of the shows at the top of my watchlist. 

1. Wizards of Waverly Place

For those who don’t know, Wizards of Waverly Place follows young wizards Justin, Alex and Max Russo as they learn how to master their powers. The siblings struggle to balance working in their family’s sub shop, high school, friendships, relationships and magic. It also features some of the cutest romances I’ve ever seen.

2. Phil of the Future

Phil of the Future features the Diffy family, a family from 2121 who’s vacation landed them in 2004 (feel old yet, anybody?). Phil, Pim and their parents have to adjust to living in 2004 to avoid their secret getting out. Like most Disney Channel shows, the siblings have to learn how to stand up to bullies, make friends and finish their homework. (Also fetus Evan Peters!)

3. Cheetah Girls

A true classic. The Cheetah Girls is filled with underrated bops, a diverse cast and a captivating storyline. Four friends who perform at children’s birthday parties as “The Cheetah Girls” audition for the school talent show, hoping it will help launch their career. Their friendship strengthens as they overcome obstacles and learn how to stand up for what they believe in.

4. The Lizzie McGuire Movie

In this one, our favorite protagonist takes on Italy in a school-sponsored summer trip. While in Rome, Lizzie meets Paolo Valisari, an Italian pop-star who’s duet partner looks identical to her. He asks Lizzie to pretend to be his partner during a big show at the end of the summer. She agrees, but she has no idea what she’s in for. A true Disney Channel classic, the Lizzie McGuire Movie ends with one of the best songs ever, What Dreams Are Made Of.

5. Eddie’s Million Dollar Cook-Off

​One of the oldest, and most iconic Disney Channel Originals, Eddie’s Million Dollar Cook-Off stars Eddie Ogden, a baseball player with a passion for cooking inspired by Bobby Flay (that’s important I swear). When Eddie’s passion interferes with the baseball team, he enters into a big cooking competition (that could earn him admission to a culinary institute) to prove to his Dad, friends, and himself that cooking is what he truly loves. 

Happy watching, collegiettes!

Photo by https://burst.shopify.com/@sarahpflugphoto?utm_campaign=photo_credit&amp…”>Sarah Pflug from https://burst.shopify.com/entertainment?utm_campaign=photo_credit&ut…”>Burst

Kathryn is a junior undergraduate at the University of Connecticut, studying Communication with a minor in Marketing. She holds the position of Twitter chair for her chapter's Twitter account.