Wellness > Sex + Relationships

5 Cute Ways to Celebrate Valentine’s Day in a Long-Distance Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Trying to make the distance feel smaller in a long-distance relationship is no easy feat, and then Valentine’s Day rolls around and it can feel like you are truly worlds apart. The pandemic has also thrown a lot of people into unexpected long-distance relationships, especially in college. But just because you’re in an LDR on February 14th doesn’t mean that you can’t find fun ways to feel connected and celebrate with one another.   

Stream A Movie/Show Together

flat screen TV
Jens Kreuter/Unsplash
It seems like 2020 was the year of streaming, so there are more than enough streaming sites for you and your significant other to choose from this Valentine’s Day. Most of these streaming services have a watch party feature that allows you to invite each other and watch any movie or show in sync. You can maintain communication through text or the chat option within your choice of streaming service watch party, but I recommend leveling up your experience by using Facetime or Skype. This way you can get all their reactions and even share a meal/snacks together. A perfect cozy stay-in date if you ask me. 

Do Arts and Crafts Together 

painting of flowers for the spring
Photo by Victoria Bilsborough from Unsplash
Now, if you aren’t a crafty couple this date idea might take a little more planning. A few days before Feb. 14th you and your S.O. can hit up your local craft stores and grab supplies for the perfect virtual crafting date. I recommend a paint and wine night, scrapbooking, or sculpting with clay. If you need any more ideas for some cute DIY projects that you’ll both enjoy, you can always turn to Pinterest. 

Virtual Card/Video Games 

Woman sitting at computer drinking coffee
Photo by Bongkarn Thanyakij from Pexels

Playing games over Skype or Facetime definitely isn’t the first thing that comes to mind for a romantic virtual date night, but it’s a great way to add some excitement and a little friendly competition to your Valentine’s Day. You both can head over to the store or order off Amazon before your night of video-chatting and pick up classics like Cards Against Humanity, Truth or Dare, What Do You Meme, etc. to get the party started. And, if you both like playing video games, there are dozens of online games you can enjoy together. 

Arrange a FaceTime Dinner Date

woman eating hamburger
Photo by Szabo Viktor from Unsplash

Sometimes it’s the little things you miss the most, like sharing a meal with your significant other. This Valentine’s Day, amp up your typical Facetime session by sharing dinner “together.” You can both cook up your favorite food to eat together or you can just order in (both are equally great in my opinion). Since it is Valentine’s Day, I highly recommend ending the dinner date with a little something sweet, so make it easy on each other and send each other a sweet treat via a delivery service.   

Surprise Each Other With Something Special 

macro shot of assorted wrapped gift boxes
Pixaby/Pexels

One of the most important things about being in a long-distance relationship is to make sure you keep the romance alive, and one way to do that is by surprising each other. You can do this by sending your partner a care package or a meaningful V-day gift, surprising them with a delivery of their favorite flowers or treats, planning a surprise trip to see them or a trip together, or even planning a pre-Valentine’s date. 

I personally don’t believe Valentine’s Day has to be an extravagant and over-the-top event to be enjoyable, but it’s nice to pay just a little bit more attention to your long-distance partner on that day. When it comes to navigating Valentine’s Day in an LDR, it’s all about making the most of it. Instead of dwelling on what you can’t do together, focus on what you can do together and try your best to listen to each other’s needs.

Laura is a Senior at the University of Connecticut majoring in Communication and minoring in Entrepreneurship. She has a passion for fashion and photography. Laura is also the current Events Chair for Her Campus UCONN!