Life > Experiences

5 Cool Places To Check Out In CT Before Summer Ends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

It may not seem like it, folks, but summer vacation will be over sooner than you know it! The fall semester starts on August 28th, which leaves under two months until we have to go back to school and go back to hour-long classes, lengthy reports, and exams. Given all this, you definitely would want to make the most of what’s left of your summer and go exploring cool new places you haven’t been before. So, if you want to carpe the diem this summer, but need some ideas of interesting new places to check out, never fear! Here are my top five places to visit in Connecticut before summer ends.

5. Hammonasset Beach State park (clinton, ct)

First on my list, we have Hammonasset Beach State Park in Clinton CT. Open to the public since 1920, there are many activities you can do there. From swimming and relaxing on the beach, to biking, camping, hiking, picnicking, and checking out the nature center, there certainly is no shortage of things to do here! I have gone here quite a bit, ever since I was little. I’ve been to the beaches, and I’ve gone camping a couple of times, but personally, my favorite thing to do here is bike. It just feels so good to be biking and feeling the sea breeze through my hair, looking at the beautiful sunset, and checking out all the beautiful scenery. I swear, it is so breathtakingly beautiful at Hammonasset Beach State Park. From watching the sunset on the beaches, to the bright green, grassy marshes, where you can spot herons, there is no shortage of beautiful and interesting sights to see here. Also, it’s always fun to go bodyboarding in the waves and collect seashells on the beach! I highly recommend it if you want a fun, beach outing!

4. matterhorn mini golf (canton, ct)

Next up on my list is Matterhorn Mini Golf in Canton, CT. If you like mini-golfing, or if you like Switzerland but are a broke college student who can’t afford to travel, this mini-golf course is for you! There is so much Swiss-themed fun at Matterhorn Mini Golf. From all the Swiss fun facts they have peppered throughout the course, to the Swiss music that can be heard throughout the course, to all the holes that are replicas of famous Swiss landmarks such as the Chapel Bridge in Lucerne, the environment really does make you feel like you’re in Switzerland. Also, another cute thing there are all the goat sculptures all over the course, each painted in distinct and unique ways, such as one being Dia de los Muertos themed, and another painted to look like Wonder Woman! They also have really great ice cream and a ton of cuckoo clocks. If you like mini-golfing and Switzerland, you should definitely check this place out!

3. jordan’s furniture (new haven, ct)

“Nicole, what the Hell? Why are you telling us about a boring old furniture store, I mean, why on earth would I possibly want to go there?” Good question, dear reader! And I’ll tell you why. Jordan’s Furniture has something that many boring old furniture stores simply do not have. Inside, there’s a giant Adventure Ropes Course! Their ropes course is literally called “It” (like seriously, they couldn’t have come up with a better name?) and It has four levels you can work your way up. If you are scared of falling, never fear! You wear a full-body harness and sling line to keep you safe and secure while you navigate the course. The course has a lot of good challenges on it, from criss-cross angle rope ladders, zig-zag swinging beams, and cargo nets. Another thing that’s really cool about It is the light and water shows that play while you climb. When you glide on the zip-line, you get a good view of all the colorful lights and the majestic display of waterworks. And after you have gotten a good workout from all that climbing, they have refreshments! They have a Blaze Pizza and an ice cream shop called Scoop It where you can refuel. If adventure and excitement are what you seek, I certainly would recommend It at Jordan’s Furniture.

2. Jessica’s garden and lobster shack (marlborough, ct)

If you’re looking for some good food and a nice quiet place to relax and enjoy nature, then Jessica’s Garden and Lobster Shack is the place for you. Jessica’s Garden is an outdoor restaurant and garden center that serves ice cream, lobster rolls, and has a garden. I’ve not had their lobster rolls yet so I can’t speak for them, but if they’re anything like the ice cream, they’re probably very good. The ice cream is so delicious and creamy. But the best part of all, in my opinion, is the garden itself. Yes, it’s even better than the ice cream. The garden feels so peaceful, with the calm, green lake, the tall, majestic forest bathed with sunlight and its myriad of colorful flowers, and the garden gnomes and fairy statues. The vibe is so cottagecore I feel I may start seeing forest fairies. But seriously, if you want a nice, chill place to eat ice cream, relax, and enjoy the scenery, I highly recommend Jessica’s Garden.

1. lake compounce (Bristol, ct)

Did you guys know that the oldest continuously operating amusement park in the United States is in Connecticut? Well, that park is Lake Compounce! Lake Compounce opened in 1846 and was originally a picnic park. It contains a myriad of thrilling rides, plus a waterpark and a beach, which is perfect to cool off in this sweltering summer. As someone who’s been going to Lake Compounce since I was little, I don’t mean to brag, but I’m somewhat of an expert on all the rides. So sit back, relax, and let me give you my expert opinion of which rides are best.

For dry rides, if you’re looking for that sweet adrenaline rush, I would recommend Down Time. This ride is a drop tower that very, very slowly brings you all the way up to the tippy top of the park. You hear a clock tick, quickly at first, then slower, slower, until it stops. Then suddenly, it drops you, all the way from the top of the sky to the ground. You feel your heart drop into your stomach, you feel your stomach drop into your feet, you feel the wind blustering past you, then as quickly as it began, you are on the ground, safe and sound. Another ride that’s good if you’re a thrill seeker is Thunder N’ Lightning. This ride is a giant swing where two giant metal arms swing you in the air while you listen to the sound of thunder boom. When it swings you to a peak, you feel lighter than a feather, like you could float out of your seat.

If getting thrown all over the place isn’t your thing, let me tell you about some of the more chill rides. First of all, there’s Zoomer’s Gas n’ Go, which is a ride where you drive a 1950s Corvette on a track while 1950s music plays. It’s a pretty chill time. Another good chill ride is the Ghost Hunt. In this ride, you ride through a haunted house, filled with spooky ghosts, and it’s up to you, dear rider, to blast them all! You must blast as many ghosts as you can to earn the highest number of points.

For water rides, if you’re looking for a nice lazy ride, I’d recommend the CrocoNile. It’s basically a lazy river where you can float around in a tube until your bones dissolve. But, if you’re looking for a bit more excitement, then I’d recommend the Riptide Racer. You get to race other people in these extremely contorted and twisted water slides on matts. Once the light turns green, you zip at lightning speed through all the tunnels, feeling the water splash your face. Then, you see a light, and you go down a giant slide, until you stop at the bottom, and look if you won. If you want the amusement park experience, Lake Compounce is for you.

So, to sum things up, here are my top five places to visit around CT before the summer ends! As you can see, there are a lot of great places in CT to explore. So with this newfound knowledge, go out, seize the day, and go visit some new places before summer is over!

Wave Hello GIF by Bluey - Find & Share on GIPHY
Nicole is a junior at the University of Connecticut studying communication and gerontology. Her hobbies include playing the flute, biking, and drawing.