4 Reasons YOU Should Do HuskyTHON

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

There are only a few days left to register for HuskyTHON, UConn’s eighteen-hour dance marathon where students raise money for Connecticut Children’s Medical Center. Registration closes on February 20th, so don’t wait any longer to sign up for one of the best nights of the year!

Still need some convincing? Here are four reasons why you should dance at HuskyTHON this year!

1. Friends

With over 1,700 students participating in HuskyTHON this year, you are sure to be surrounded by friends, and will make new ones, during the eighteen hours in the field house. Are you in a club? Check to see if they have a team (Her Campus does!) and join it! Goofing off and showing your silly dance moves to friends is sure to make the night tons of fun.

2. Theme Hours

The Management Team makes the night fun by splitting it up into theme hours. This year some of the themes include rave, super heroes, surfer, pajamas, school pride, and color wars between the grades. Theme hours are a great way to really go all out and get into the event. Plus, one of the hours is “children’s choice,” which means that kids from CCMC will be deciding what our theme is. So be sure to pack a bag full of fun and wacky clothes and costumes!

3. Fun

Besides the nonstop music all night and the entertaining MC, the management team plans plenty of activities throughout the night to keep the dancers going. Oftentimes, there are bouncy houses and obstacle courses, caricaturists, campus brand reps, and more!

4. It’s FTK!

The most important reason you should participate in HuskyTHON this year is that it’s FTK (For The Kids)!  We stand for eighteen hours and raise money for the children at Connecticut Children’s Medical Center, to insure that they receive the best care possible. HuskyTHON is an event that these children look forward to every year because they can leave the hospital and just be kids for the night! It can be tough at times to stand for so long, but it is so worth it to see the smiles on those kids’ faces and love in their parents’ eyes.

This year will be my third HuskyTHON and I am so excited to see the excitement, laughter, and bonding that it will bring. I hope I’ll see you there!

Currently a senior at the University of Connecticut, Grace McMorrow is pursuing a degree in Journalism and Communications.  From a young age she could be found sitting in a comfy corner devouring a book or filling up a journal and her love of words has only grown with age. She's learned to embrace her awkward, quirky nature once she learned being like Mia Thermopolis or Jessica Day isn't all that bad. Grace tends to spend her free time staying up to date on pop culture, obsessing over fictional characters, and daydreaming about her next faraway travel destination.