Wellness

Oh, How I Love Being A Woman: 4 Fascinating Facts About Female Bodies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Wednesday, March 8th, 2023 was International Women’s Day. A big round of applause and appreciation to all women out there. Women’s bodies are fascinating. The fact we can make a whole human being inside of us is amazing. Therefore, I wanted to highlight four fascinating facts about female bodies you may not know about.

1. LactatiNG WITHOUT PREGNANCY

Did you know, women are able to produce milk and lactate even if they are not pregnant themselves? With supplemental estrogen and progesterone, women are actually able to pump milk with breast pumping machines if they are planning to adopt a baby or even donate milk. Many women took part in this during the big formula shortage during the pandemic.

2. female orgasms release relaxing endorphins

During an orgasm, the female reproductive system releases endorphins to the body that allow the body to release waves of “feeling-good” chemicals. This is why you may experience a happy and relaxed mood after sex — or the “sex glow.” The vagina is a very sensitive nerve-ending area that allows the clitoris to be a place for stimulation.

3. orgasms can relieve MIGRAINES

When experiencing an orgasm, chemicals such as endorphins, serotonin, and dopamine are released. Dopamine is a chemical that allows you to feel good as well as for the brain itself. When the brain is low on dopamine, it can cause a migraine. That being said, having sex and having an orgasm can help produce more dopamine to help relieve your migraine.

4. CERVIX’S DILATION

Lastly, did you know a women’s cervix can dilate up to 10 cm before giving birth? That’s the size of an average drink coaster. That’s the size of a large bagel. The cervix is a passage to allow a baby to pass through the vagina.

Conclusion

Being a woman can be hard sometimes, but women are superior. We are amazing. It’s astonishing how women can do many things that a man could never be able to do otherwise. We are able to do anything.

“Females are the most beautiful, gorgeous creatures in the whole world. And I think that we are gorgeous no matter what size we are.”

– Alicia Keys
Ayshah is a Junior at the University of Connecticut studying Economics and Journalism. When she is not writing for Her Campus, she is fostering and helping cats at her local cat rescue; 'Enfield Community Cat Project'. She also likes to spend her time at the gym hitting cardio or climbing away at the rock wall.