4 Easy and Delicious Nacho Recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

If you’re like me, just hearing the word nacho makes you salivate at the thought of the combination of crunchy, gooey, and cheesy perfection. Best part is, you don’t have to wait until you go out to devour this plate of heaven when they’re so easy to make at home.  Nachos are super-quick, satisfying snacks to make and share with friends (or eat them solo, let’s be real). In honor of National Tortilla Chip Day, any of you can reach nacho nirvana with these simple, yet delicious recipes.

Classic Loaded Nachos

You can’t go wrong with a plate of some OG nachos covered in veggies, beans and cheese! This recipe is vegetarian friendly, but adding some chicken, beef or pork would definitely make these nachos even more delicious.

Ingredients:

• 1 bag tortilla chips
  • 1 bag Mexican blend cheese, shredded
  • 1 tomato, seeded and diced
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 jalapeno, seeded and sliced
  • 1 avocado, diced
  • 1 can black beans, drained
  • 1 tbsp. lime/lemon juice
  • ½ tsp. garlic powder
  • ½ tsp. crushed red pepper (optional)
  • salt and pepper, add to taste

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
  2. Start with a bed of tortilla chips on a baking sheet.
  3. Sprinkle a layer of cheese, some beans, tomatoes and onions.
  4. Add more chips, and layer once again.
  5. Make sure you add a hefty portion of cheese on the final layer, topped with jalapeno slices.
  6. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and mouth watering.
  7. Finish off by adding the avocados, garlic powder, salt, pepper and optional red pepper flakes.
  8. Top it with lime juice and serve.

Greek-Style Nachos

How about adding a Mediterranean twist to traditional nachos by using flavors like feta cheese and hummus? Umm…Yes! This recipe doesn’t require an oven because these ingredients taste better when fresh and chilled, but you can use the oven to heat up the pita chips.

Ingredients:

• 1 bag pita chips
  • ½ cup feta cheese, crumbed
  • 1 cucumber, diced
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 tomato, seeded and diced
  • 1 tbsp. lemon juice
  • ½ cup hummus

Directions:

1. Start with a bed of pita chips.
  2. Layer on the tomatoes, onions and cucumbers.
  3. Sprinkle on the feta cheese and squeeze some lemon juice.
  4. Spoon the hummus into a re-sealable plastic bag. Remove any air from the bag and seal it shut.
  5. Cut a tiny hole on the edge to make a piping bag to decorate your nachos with swirls of hummus.
  6. Serve immediately to maintain freshness.

Dessert Nachos

This unique recipe may violate the unspoken rule of nachos (it’s all about the cheese), but they’re covered in chocolate sauce instead, so why complain? This is the perfect sweet treat for a movie night or hangout sesh with your friends.

Ingredients:

• 1 bag cinnamon sugar pita chips
  • ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips, melted
  • 1 cup strawberries, diced
  • Whipped cream

Directions:

1. On a plate of cinnamon sugar pita chips (heated or not), sprinkle on the strawberries evenly.
  2. Pour the melted chocolate into a re-sealable plastic bag using the same piping bag method as in the Greek Nacho recipe (above).
  3. Drizzle (or drench) the chips in the warm chocolate sauce.
  4. Follow with lots of whipped cream and you’re in for some sugary heaven.

PB Apple Nachos

Okay, maybe we’re using the term ‘nacho’ pretty loosely for this recipe, but this is a healthy and delicious snack that uses sliced apples to mimic the chips, and are covered in toppings resulting in one epic plate.

Ingredients:

• 2 apples, cored and thinly sliced
  • ¼ cup peanut butter
  • ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
  • 3 tbsp. semi sweet chocolate chips

Directions:

1. Arrange the sliced apples on a plate.
  2. In a microwave safe bowl, heat the peanut butter for about 20-30 seconds (stirring every 10), or until it resembles a runny consistency.
  3. Using a spoon, drizzle the peanut butter onto the apples.
  4. Sprinkle the walnuts and chocolate chips on top.
  5. For added crunch, add your favorite granola or some honey for extra sweetness.

Have your own favorite recipe or try out one of these?  Send us pictures of your nacho creations on Twitter!

*All images courtesy of Ashna Gupta