3 Reasons to Check Out UConn’s Lunar New Year Celebration

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

UConn’s Vietnamese Student Association (VSA) and the Chinese Undergraduate Student Association (CUSA) are hosting their fifth annual Lunar New Year Celebration on Friday, February 12.  This year is the Year of the Monkey. Each year, VSA and CUSA always pull off an amazing night, and people are expecting nothing less from the two groups. If you’re a first timer and on the fence about attending the event, don’t worry any longer. Here are three reasons that are surely going to make YOU want to go this year.

1. The event is FREE
Free? Did someone just say free?! What college student does not like free? This is the perfect night to go out and not have to spend a dime while enjoying a piece of the Asian culture. People get to dress up semi-formal and attend an event that offers savory cuisines as well as dance performances that will knock you off your feet.

2. The Fashion Show
Probably the highlight of the night is the annual fashion show. This part of the celebration showcases various dresses and outfits from both the Chinese and Vietnamese cultures. People can expect to see a wide array of designs, colors, and styles on the runway.

3. You get to experience what the Asian culture has to offer. 
This celebration offers authentic and savory Asian dishes for your enjoyment as well as traditional and modern cultural performances from ensembles across the northeast. This year, guests will expect to see Echo Chinese ensemble, Kollaboration Boston, and the traditional Lion Dance.  In addition, as part of the new year tradition, guests will be surrounded by the color red, symbolizing good luck and prosperity for the new year.

This annual celebration brings families and friends together as they prepare to welcome the new year according to the Asian culture. Think of this as the perfect opportunity to “travel” and experience a different culture first hand and live. And remember, this is a free event! Get ready for what UConn VSA and CUSA have in store for their biggest event of the year. 

You can find out more information about the event on Facebook