18 Thoughts I Had While Watching “The Notebook” for the First Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Hello, my name is Mikayla. I am an eighteen year-old girl…and I have never seen The Notebook.  I’m just as surprised as you that I’ve gone this long without another reason for loving Ryan Gosling. So, for everyone’s enjoyment, I’ve decided to give my thoughts, opinions and emotions, and “live-blog” my first-time Notebook watching reactions. Here goes nothing…

1. The story starts and we learn about Allie and Noah. Young Ryan Gosling is a national treasure. Also, the way Noah looks at Allie when he sees her for the first time is adorable.

2. Noah, my guy, no girl is worth risking your life dangling from a Ferris wheel.

3. Cute, flirty interactions between Noah and Allie actually might rot my teeth they’re so sweet.

4. Noah is calling Allie out on her privilege. I am here for this. Also, who the heck lets their parents decide where they’ll attend college? ISN’T IT YOUR LIFE ALLIE? FOLLOW YOUR HEART!  

5. I feel as if Allie letting other people run her life will be a recurring theme in this movie. 

6. Allie and Noah are falling in love and honestly, I’m not shocked. I too would fall in love with young Ryan Gosling (or any age Ryan Gosling really).  

7. HERE IS THAT BIRD SCENE…. “IF YOU’RE A BIRD, I’M A BIRD.” NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE CRY DURING THIS MOVIE.

8. Oh my god. Shirtless Ryan Gosling. This movie has everything. I totally would have gotten in the water, Allie. Just saying.               

9. Crap, I’m right. Allie lets people run her life. Allie, girl, why are you letting other people disrespect your man like that?

10. Aren’t these kids like 18 years old? Why are you planning your white house with blue shutters already? It’s kinda sweet, but man that’s heavy.

11. Allie and Noah are leaving each other. I can’t handle it.  

12. Oh my GOD. Allie’s mother threw out all 365 letters???

13. Noah goes to war and Allie gets hit on by a wounded soldier. I’m not sure how I feel about this.

14. Allie is now engaged to wounded soldier and NOAH IS BUILDING THE DREAM HOUSE.

15. Wait hang on, are the older couple Allie and Noah now? I am feeling all kinds of emotions.

16. ALLIE GETS ALL THE LETTERS HER MOTHER HID. I AM EQUAL PARTS MAD AND HEARTBROKEN.

17. “I want all of you forever. You and me. Everyday.” Where, oh where, can I find a guy like this in real life?

18. Now back to old Noah and Allie lying in a hospital bed together. They fall asleep together and their love takes them away together. SHE REMEMBERS HIM. THEY LOVE EACH OTHER. I WANT A LOVE LIKE THAT.

In conclusion, I am sitting on my bed bawling my eyes out and wishing I could have a love like Noah and Allie’s. Overall experience? A great movie. It’s terrible, I hate it, I love it. I’ll never be the same again.

Cover Image Source