andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

15 Thoughts I’ve Had While Getting Ready to Study Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Studying abroad is said to be an incredible experience and the highlight of a person’s college career.  It was something I’d been thinking about for a long time.  It was one of those things I thought I “should definitely try to do if I can” and I figured the second semester of my junior year would be the best time.  Of course, I was also a little nervous when I thought about it and even had self-doubt as to whether I could handle being on my own in another country for five months. 

“Second semester of junior year” always seemed very far away and it felt like I’d have plenty of time to decide, but suddenly the deadlines were coming up fast.  So, I made myself fill out an application and later accept my offer really quickly before I could fully realize what I was doing or had the opportunity to change my mind.  Now that it’s finally happening and I’m leaving in less than 2.5 weeks, there are a lot of thoughts going through my mind, so I compiled them in a list for your reading pleasure.

England!

Big Ben, the London Eye, the history, the accent.  What’s not to love?

Am I going to like the food?

I’ve talked to a lot of people about England.  And not a single one has had good things to say about the food.  I like beans, so I guess that’s good….

Did I let everyone know that I’m going to be gone?

Pretty sure I rescheduled any appointments I had and let almost everyone in my clubs at school know.

Wow, I have a lot to do to get ready

Confession: I haven’t started getting ready yet…

Relief when you find people to fly over with

They don’t know it, but they are officially my new best friends.  This was the biggest relief for me, I’m going by myself and finding other people that are going to the same place made me feel so much more relaxed.

Trying to figure out when I’ll be able to talk to everyone with the time difference

I’ll be getting ready for bed when most people are getting out of work.  The Grammys won’t even start until 12:30 a.m. England time.

When your friends want to go out with you and do things that require spending money before you leave

I’m not trying to spend any extra money right now, but I should probably say good-bye to Blaze Pizza too.

Wait, what was that thing I was supposed to do?

Ah, it’s on the list of things to do I haven’t made yet

Thinking about the pictures I’ll get to take

England is absolutely beautiful: these are going to be five very Instagrammable months. At least I’ve got my travel Instagram account (@amandacabralmedia) ready to go.

What am I doing?

Am I cut out for this?  I’m a commuter student and I’ve never lived anywhere but home.  Not only will I be adjusting to dorm life, but I’ll be in a different country.  What if something bad happens?  Will I be safe?  Will I like it there? 

How I am supposed to pack enough stuff for five months? 

And my flight only allows one suitcase… Follow-up article: how I packed five months worth of stuff in one suitcase.

Where should I buy things?

How different is everything in England?  Do they sell a lot of the same stuff?  What stores should I go to?  

Will my friends remember me when I get back?

Oh, they will.  I’ll be Snapchatting them the entire time.

I’ve heard I’ll “find myself?”

Everyone tells me an experience like this changes you and says you “find yourself.”  I’m excited to get lost in another country and see what I find.

Remembering why you’re doing it

This is the kind of experience I’ve waited my whole life for.  I know it’s going to be different there and it might take a little adjusting but I’ve always wanted to travel the world.  I’m ready to do something different and have experiences that will shape who I am and impact me for the rest of my life.

See you in five months, USA.

Cover Image Credit

Amanda is a senior Journalism and Communication double-major with a minor in English. Aside from writing, she loves reading, spending time with family and friends, and making videos. If you can’t find her, she’s probably at the beach. Someday, she hopes to be a director and writer for TV/Film and spend all of her free time traveling. But for now, you can read her articles on Her Campus UConn.