15 Things That Happen When You’re Injured In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Being injured sucks.  It’s especially difficult when you’re in college and expected to get to and from class every day.  Here are 15 things everyone who has suffered through being injured in college has dealt with.

1.  You’ll get asked, “What happened?!” so many times that you’ll start to contemplate keeping typed copies of the story to hand out.

2.  Everyone in the infirmary will know you by name. 

3.  You’ll probably get some sort of special ride service or parking permit to get you to and from your classes.

4.  Your friends won’t understand when you tell them you can’t drink because it delays bone growth.

5.  If you’re on crutches and go to a party/the bar, they’ll inevitably end up with a sticky residue all over them.

6.  If you have a handicap pass and your injury isn’t blatantly obvious, you’ll get a lot of nasty looks.

7.  Going home on the weekends sounds 10 times more appealing when it includes an Epsom salt bath and the comfort of your own bed.

8.  Multiple people will ask you to share your pain meds and you’ll have to keep telling them you just ran out.

9.  If your injury resulted in a wound or scar you’ll initially be shy about it, but end up showing it off every chance you get.

10.  If you injure a lower extremity, you’ll stock up on snacks in your room to avoid having to make the trek to the d hall.

11.  You’ll end up skipping way more classes than you normally would because it takes so much extra energy to get ready and get there on time.

12.  The same goes for any clubs or meetings you may have.

13.  You’ll start to use your injury as an excuse for every possible thing you do.

14.  If you have a cast you’ll end up wearing the same article of clothing 6 out of 7 days of the week.

15.  If you’re allowed to drive, you’ll become the automatic DD every time your squad goes out.

Even with all the pain and aggravation, you’ll low-key still love the attention.

Cover Image Credit

Norma is very excited to be starting her first semester at UConn. She transferred this Spring and is currently majoring in Allied Health Sciences. Her hobbies include butchering mainstream rap songs and misplacing her cell phone. She's mainly comprised of sugar, spice and everything nice with a dash of chemical X.  Norma hopes to one day become a PA and work in the ICU or trauma unit.