This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Smart, funny, beautiful, strong: I’m sure these are only some of the words that people would use to describe you.  

Everyone is different and has their own quirks that make them unique and special, but let’s face it- there is one quality that we all share and that is the ability to be completely awkward at the most inopportune moments.

It’s amazing how quickly a good moment can go from great to awkward.  Though it’s embarrassing when it happens, just try to remember that you are not alone, collegiettes.  We all have those moments that make us wish we had a redo button. Here are 12 of the most awkward ones we can all relate to.

1.  When someone holds the door for you and you’re still kind of far away.

Cue the awkward half-jog

2. Tripping over nothing.

Eh… I’m sure no one saw it.

3.  Walking toward someone you know but you’re too far away to say hi, so you both avoid eye contact until you get close enough to talk.

*Looks at floor, checks phone, looks at poster on wall*… “Oh hey, I didn’t even see you there!”

4.  Saying hi back to someone that wasn’t saying hi to you.

Just stretching…

5.  Saying hi to someone and they didn’t hear you.

Then everyone around you gives you the “that sucks” look.

6.  Trying (but not succeeding) to stop the elevator door from closing before the other person gets in.

Oh my gosh… they must think I’m such a jerk….

7.  When you realize no one’s listening so you just kind of trail off and…

Fine.  But you’re all missing out on a great story.

8.  Not hearing what someone said but pretending you did.

“Yeah I got it…”  This is going to get me into trouble later.

9.  Running out of toilet paper in a public bathroom.

Hey, pink Nikes, do you have a square to spare?

10.  Confidently answering a question in class and being wrong.

Are you sure this math problem can’t have multiple interpretations?

11.  Trying to get out of someone’s way but you both keep side-stepping in the same direction.

You go to your left and I’ll go to my left and we’ll be fine.

12.  Liking a really old photo on someone’s Instagram.

Actually, that’s just embarrassing.

In the midst of an awkward moment, just try to remember that it happens to all of us.

Thumbnail Credit

Amanda is a senior Journalism and Communication double-major with a minor in English. Aside from writing, she loves reading, spending time with family and friends, and making videos. If you can’t find her, she’s probably at the beach. Someday, she hopes to be a director and writer for TV/Film and spend all of her free time traveling. But for now, you can read her articles on Her Campus UConn.