10 Things I’ve Been Doing to Keep Myself Busy While Social Distancing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

When I’m not in my “Zoom” classes or frantically trying to finish the work I left until the last minute, I find that a little structure is necessary to keep me off my lazy butt all day. So here are some things I’ve been doing to stay productive and have a little fun while being away from Storrs. 

1. Baking

This goes without saying, but baking is the easiest and arguably most rewarding way to keep yourself occupied during quarantine.  It’s fun, fairly simple, and you get a treat when you’re done! 

Here are some recipes I’ve been loving!

Raspberry Jam Bomboloni 

Banana Bread

New York Style Bagels

2. Tie Dying!

I bought a kit off Amazon and have not been able to stop tie-dying random things from my closet. It’s also a great excuse to get outside on a nice day and do something creative. 

Here’s the link to the dye!

Amazon

3. Making friendship bracelets

Let’s all channel our middle school selves and do something creative to stimulate our brains! Another good purchase off Amazon. I’ve made so many (hopefully to give to friends<3 once it’s safe to see them again!!) and I’ve been able to challenge myself with new patterns. 

4. Reading

Tucker down with a good book! And if you’re one of those people that hasn’t read through a whole book in years, this is the perfect time to get back into it. 

Here are some recommendations:

• All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr (an incredible historical fiction book set in France during World War II)

• Me by Elton John (The legend himself released an autobiography!!)

• In Cold Blood by Truman Capote (A true-crime classic that I finished in a day because I couldn’t wait to find out the ending)

Tim Wildsmith

5. Don’t forget binging, babes

Sometimes you just need a little break from mental stimulation and you need to chill out in front of the tube. Nobody blames you, I mean… this certainly is the time to do it. 

Here’s what I’ve been watching: 

• The Sopranos on HBONow (Bada Bing!)

• Criminal Minds on Netflix never gets old

• Love is Blind on Netflix for a little reality kick while we’re stuck inside

6. Updating My Music Library

I bought a few new records after the holidays that I’ve been dying to listen to since school started back up again, so it has definitely been nice to be able to finally put them to use. I’ve also been taking some time to explore other genres and make new Spotify playlists. Consider broadening your own horizons!! 

7. Learning Old Family Recipes

Sundays have always been sacred in my family for making marinara sauce, meatballs, and minestrone, so being home for every Sunday certainly gives me the opportunity to learn the recipes myself! Like baking, cooking gives you a sense of accomplishment and (assuming it goes according to plan) you benefit from a nice meal once you’re finished!!

aesthetic layout of cooking supplies on a blue background
Photo by Icons8 Team on Unsplash

8. Working Out

I downloaded the Nike Training Club App since I can’t go to the gym, and it provides surprisingly good structure to a workout routine. They have a bunch of options for no equipment workouts and even more if you happen to have gym equipment at home. Go on a run outside too (six feet apart though, my friends)! It’s starting to warm up and it’s a great way to get out of the house. 

9. Revamp your Bedroom

I enjoy painting, but I’m not really an artist, so I took it upon myself to make some changes by painting the frame that holds my mirror and I’m in the process of making a mosaic on top of my bedside table to spice things up! I’ve also been moving things around and trying to make the best use of the space.  Don’t hesitate to change things up.

10. GO OUTSIDE!

If it’s a nice day, go on a walk with your mom. I know she’s asked you a million times, so just do it. It’s worth it. Just sit out there if you don’t want to move, but at least get out there and soak up some sun!

flowers at sunset
Photo by Brian Garcia on Unsplash

We’re in unprecedented times right now and we’re all going insane, but there’s a lot of ways to stay happy and healthy while being responsible by participating in social distancing. Stay safe, friends!

Caroline is a senior at the University of Connecticut majoring in nursing. She is passionate about climate activism, loud music, and breakfast food.