This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

There are so many shows you can watch on Netflix, it’s honestly a blessing.  But why watch the others when you can watch (and should watch) Luke Cage?

***Warning: contains spoiler alerts!***

The City of Harlem:  The show’s plot revolves around the city of Harlem. It emphasizes the restoration of the city and keeping Harlem culture alive. The show brings to light the gang violence in the city and how the characters got through some tough times there. It highlights the true community with all the diversity and pride of Harlem.

Representation:  This show also has a diverse cast. Luke Cage indulges in African-American history, Hispanic history and even Asian history in Harlem. You learn about the struggles, lifestyles and cultures of these minority groups. The show informs you about important people, prominent figures, and events of African-American history. 

Speaking of prominent figures, they name drop Kevin Ollie.  Basketball culture is a big part of this show. As UConn students or even just as a basketball fan, we now have an obligation to watch this show #OllieWood.

If you are a Jessica Jones fan, you might recognize Luke Cage from his appearances in that show.  Luke and Jessica befriend each other and eventually get married according to the comic books.

The dialogue in Luke Cage is incredibly witty.  There’s a lot of smart humor and banter.

The show “broke” Netflix: The streaming service was down for two days and it coincidentally happened they day after the show premiered.

Amazing camera work:  The camera work expresses the story and emotions to a whole new level.  It’s completely captivating and draws the audience’s attention.

You learn to love every character you hate, and hate every character you love: The development of the story and characters is multifaceted. You become invested in certain situations, and people only to be shocked in the end.

Insane action scenes: Do these gifs prove my point?

Mike Colter, aka Luke Cage, is hot (had to be mentioned).

How

can you resist THIS?

​You can’t, so do yourself a favor and go watch this amazing show.

Cover Image Source