10 Kick-Ass Latin Americans that Inspire Us

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

¡Feliz Mes de la Herencia Hispana!  Latin American people have been making history in the United States for centuries.  There are thousands upon thousands of amazing Latin Americans.  Here is a list of10 kick-ass Latin Americans that help make this country such a great place to live.

Lin-Manuel Miranda

He wrote the dialogue, lyrics, music, and starred as lead role in the musicals In the Heights and Hamilton.  Miranda is of Puerto Rican descent.  He is a genius with words and taught us all that “love, is love, is love, is love….”  

Kat Von D

Katherine Von Drachenberg is best known for her cruelty-free makeup line, “Kat Von D Beauty.”  Kat Von D is half Argentinian, was born in Mexico, and has been helping amateur and professional makeup artists slay with their winged eyeliner for years.  

Monica Puig

Monica Puig was born in Hato Rey, Puerto Rico and is of Puerto Rican and Cuban descent.  An Olympic tennis player, Monica is the first person ever to win an Olympic gold medal for Team Puerto Rico.

Laurie Hernandez

Famous for her mad gymnast skills, Laurie Hernandez, of Puerto Rican descent, was a member of the “Final Five’’, the 2016 Olympic Gymnastics Team for the United States.  At 16 years old, she helped the team win gold and scored a silver medal on her own.

Ronda Rousey

Ronda Rousey, of Venezuelan descent, is most known as a mixed martial artist.  She won a bronze medal at the Olympic Games in 2008 competing in women’s judo.  Today, she has built quite a fan base teaching young girls that women can be just as tough as men.

Diane Guerrero

Known as Maritza on the show, Orange is the New Black, Diane Guerrero was born in New Jersey to Colombian parents.  She was 14 when her family was deported to Colombia. Today she is an advocate for immigration reform and will be speaking at UConn on October 11.

Sonia Sotomayor

Sonia Sotomayor, Puerto Rican, was appointed as the Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court by President Barack Obama in 2009.  She is the first Latin American person in history to serve as a justice.

America Ferrera

America Ferrera, aka Carmen Lowell from The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, is a Honduran American actress from Los Angeles, California.  She is well known for promoting body positivity and self-love.

Christina Aguilera

This half-Ecuadorian singer has been a pop queen for years.  Starting out on Disney Channel’s The Mickey Mouse Club, Christina Aguilera has become a household name. Proud of her Latina heritage, Christina once released an album entirely in Spanish called Mi Reflejo.  

Diana Taurasi

WNBA player for the Phoenix Mercury and a UConn alum, Diana Taurasi, of Argentinian descent, is considered one of the best WNBA players to date according to the WNBA 20@20 presented by Verizon. She also helped Team USA bring home gold every Olympic Games since 2004.  I guess Husky power can help make you pretty successful.

If you are interested in more information about Latin Americans or Latin American culture, be sure to check out the Puerto Rican and Latin American Cultural Center here at UConn!

Cover Image Source