This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

It’s no secret that the best part about UConn’s campus is the fall weather. It’s farewell to crop tops and jean skirts and trying to maintain the perfect beach body in exchange for sweaters, hot Starbucks lattes and wearing leggings every day. Here are some of things that make fall at UConn the best time of year.

Tailgates

Waking up before 11 a.m. on the weekend is only acceptable on game day. Dressing up in red and blue to day-drink and forget about your papers due next week is something to look forward to every fall semester. Win or lose, it’s worth the bus ride and early morning with the girls even if you’re left hungover at 5 o’clock in the afternoon.

The changing leaves

Image courtesy of Cassidy O’Lear

Without a doubt, the greatest part of autumn is seeing orange, gold and red leaves scattered across campus. Most days you’ll find someone has posted a snap story of the fallen leaves or tweeted about how much they love the cool, fall air. Anyone who says fall isn’t the prettiest time of year in Storrs doesn’t know what they’re talking about.

Sweater Weather

Walk around campus this time of year, and you’ll never see anyone look better. It’s the best season for fashion with comfy sweaters, brown booties, infinity scarves and the lack of sweat ruining everyone’s hair. Plus, on the days you feel as though you’re forcing yourself out of bed, it’s also just as easy to throw on a hoodie and leggings and call it a day.

Horsebarn Hill

Image courtesy of Cassidy O’Lear

Going for a morning run or just to see the adorable horses before a stop at the Dairy Bar can be a great way to spend a Saturday. Not everyone gets to have such Instagram worthy scenery just minutes from the dorm and fall is the best time to take advantage.

Halloween

Sure, it can be stressful picking out a perfect costume, or 3 for every night of Halloweekend, but everyone still looks forward to October 31st. Watching Hocus Pocus, dressing up and finding an excuse to break your diet with a Snickers bar make it well worth the stress of choosing an outfit. All around campus, people will be dressed up at night bringing up memories of the days of trick or treating.

Mirror Lake

Yes, it’s gorgeous all year round but it’s rare that the temperature is comfortable enough to take a break on the grass. Most of the school year it’ll be covered in snow or wet from yesterday’s rain. If you’re lucky enough to get a seat on a swing or just to have the time to sit and relax and enjoy the view, don’t the short lived time with decent weather for granted.

Image courtesy of Cassidy O’Lear

Walking to class

Making a trek across campus without sweating and without the brutal wind come winter is something only possible during the fall. Nothing beats the crisp air and cool breeze that distracts you from the fact that you’re on the way to an hour-long lecture. It makes the endless hills and heavy backpack a lot more bearable. 

Even though the weather still feels a bit like summer, UConn students are more than ready for fall and all its festivities.

Cover Image Courtesy of Cassidy O’Lear