Your Guide to This Weekend’s Events!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

As spring livens up the city, flowers are popping up everywhere—and so are the sickly pale faces of UChicago students. Gone are the dark, melancholy winter days spent in stuffy Reg cubicles and shuttered homes. Gone are the sleeping bag coats and hats pulled down to our ears. We’re coming out to play! Put on your sandals and sundresses, and look out for these exciting events this weekend:

Saturday, May 11

TEDxUChicago: Theory in Action

Who says fun can’t be intellectual? Checking out visionary speeches at TEDxUChicago: Theory in Action. The event, taking place all day in Mandel Hall, will feature 11 speakers, including Kambale Musavuli (Congolese Hero Award winner for Breaking the Silence) and Eli Finkel (NYT expert on romantic attraction and marriage).

Delta Gamma Anchor Slam

DG’s annual philanthropy event involves a 3v3 basketball competition, dance competition, and three point competition, starting at noon at Ratner. Come to watch or come to play—it’ll be a blast! All proceeds go to Service for Sight.

FOTA 50th Anniversary Launch Party

Celebrate the 50th anniversary of FOTA (Festival of the Arts) at Logan Center. The event will feature a fashion Show (courtesy of MODA), screening of “FOTA 2013: The Documentary,” FOTABooth, and more.

Discover Chicago: Ukrainian Village Art Tour

Don’t miss a free guided tour of the Ukrainian National Museum, courtesy of UCSC and ORCSA. Students will also be able to explore the restaurants and shops in Ukrainian Village. Free transportation provided.

Sunday, May 12

ArtShould Expose: Student Arts Fair

ArtShould is hosting an art fair for students to exhibit and sell their work. The event will take place in the Logan Center courtyard and feature the student band, Dirt Red Brass Band.

Pacifica Quartet

One of the nation’s best quartets is coming to Logan Center on Sunday afternoon. The program is as follows: Smetana: String Quartet No. 1, “From My Life” Janácek: String Quartet No. 2, “Intimate Letters” Beethoven: String Quartet No. 16 in F major, Op. 135. Student tickets are $5. 

Annie Pei

U Chicago

Annie is a Political Science major at the University of Chicago who not only writes for Her Campus, but is also one of Her Campus UChicago's Campus Correspondents. She also acts as Editor-In-Chief of Diskord, an online op-ed publication based on campus, and as an Arts and Culture Co-Editor for the university's new Undergraduate Political Review. When she's not busy researching, writing, and editing articles, Annie can be found pounding out jazz choreography in a dance room, furiously cheering on the Vancouver Canucks, or around town on the lookout for new places, people, and things. This year, Annie is back in DC interning with Voice of America once again!