Where Fun Comes to Dance: Taking the Stage at Logan!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

Photo credit Varsha Sundar

Last Tuesday, eleven of the University’s best dance groups went head to head to compete in Where Fun Comes to Dance. The dances ranged from contemporary to classical Indian dance to tap. The performances were punctuated by members of Occam’s Razor emceeing the event. Members of Delta Gamma kicked off the event with their Anchor Slam dance routine, entertaining the Logan Auditorium with their medley of nostalgic songs, featuring the Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears.

Other stand-out events included the show’s closing number, when Tap That performed a tap routine to “You and I” by Ingrid Michaelson. There was also  Apsara’s graceful bharatanatyum dance, and exciting contemporary pieces by UC Dancers and RBIM. UBallet performed a beautifully choreographed excerpt from “Don Quixote (Ballet in Three Acts)”, and Maya and Tangled Tango both presented exceptionally well-done numbers over the course of the two-hour show.

This year’s winners were hard to call—it took the judges quite a while to decide, and they are all experts in their respective fields. Julia Rhoads is a renowned choreographer and is currently a Dance Advisor here at the University. She judged the contemporary dance pieces for this year’s competition. Benjamin Wardell judged ballet, and has been a member of the Cincinnati Ballet, Urban Art Farm, and Lucky Plush Productions. Darshana Nair is a member of the Natya Dance Theatre, and she helped judge the classical Indian dances of the night. Daniel “BRAVEMONK” Haywood is a member of Phaze II- Crosstown Crew, Chicago’s break-dance crew. He judged the hip-hop and break-dancing portion of the show. As these highly credited judges decided who won the cash prizes for first, second, and third place, the dancers had an impromptu dance-off to “Single Ladies.”

Phinix’s set, with music by the likes of Macklemore, Adele, and Linkin Park, earned them third place, UChicago Raas’s Pac-Man themed dance won them second place, and UChicago Bhangra’s explosive dance earned them the coveted first place prize of $500.

All of the dance groups showed how talented the student body is, and they put on a wonderful show. Look forward to next year’s show as these dance groups take the stage once again!

An English major who grew up in the Middle East with a love for food, reading, sunny days, and cheesy movies. 
Annie Pei

U Chicago

Annie is a Political Science major at the University of Chicago who not only writes for Her Campus, but is also one of Her Campus UChicago's Campus Correspondents. She also acts as Editor-In-Chief of Diskord, an online op-ed publication based on campus, and as an Arts and Culture Co-Editor for the university's new Undergraduate Political Review. When she's not busy researching, writing, and editing articles, Annie can be found pounding out jazz choreography in a dance room, furiously cheering on the Vancouver Canucks, or around town on the lookout for new places, people, and things. This year, Annie is back in DC interning with Voice of America once again!