UBallet Puts on Petipa’s “La Bayadere”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

The University Ballet of Chicago kicked off their performance season with Marius Petipa’s “La Bayadere.” Set in Royal India, the ballet follows the story of the warrior Solor and temple dancer Nikiya who swear eternal fidelity to one another during life and death.

Currently in their 10th year of operations, UBallet has performed classics like The Sleeping Beauty and Giselle. La Bayadere is only the latest in a long line of performances, and the first show of UBallet’s 2011-2012 season.

Auditions for the ballet took place mid-October with 42 dancers comprising the final company. Beginners and incredibly advanced pointe dancers alike formed a cast that included temple dancers, fan dancers, and fakirs. The choreography was put together entirely by students involved in UBallet, as well as the staging, lights, and other technical aspects.

Third year undergraduate student Matthew Walsh and graduate student Katie Grogan starred as Solor and Nikiya, with Tiffany Hu rounding off the ballet’s main characters. Supporting roles were taken by other undergraduate and graduate students.

UBallet’s next show will take place on May 4th and 5th. The company will stage Paquita, another ballet by Marius Petipa, and Peter and the Wolf as their selections for the Spring performance.

Annie Pei

U Chicago

Annie is a Political Science major at the University of Chicago who not only writes for Her Campus, but is also one of Her Campus UChicago's Campus Correspondents. She also acts as Editor-In-Chief of Diskord, an online op-ed publication based on campus, and as an Arts and Culture Co-Editor for the university's new Undergraduate Political Review. When she's not busy researching, writing, and editing articles, Annie can be found pounding out jazz choreography in a dance room, furiously cheering on the Vancouver Canucks, or around town on the lookout for new places, people, and things. This year, Annie is back in DC interning with Voice of America once again!
Jessica Ro

U Chicago

Jessica Ro is a third-year Public Policy student originally from Santa Monica, California, a city just west of Los Angeles. Jessica joined Her Campus because she loved the concept of reaching out specifically to college-aged females through writing.