Tales of a 4th Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

The journey to 4th year has been long, short, tough, and exciting all at the same time. To this day, I’m still shocked that three and a half years of college have gone by, and I have to remind myself every so often that I am indeed a 4th year, and that NO I am not dreaming. I have learnt so much not only about psychoanalysis, nicomachean ethics, and biological processes, but I have also learnt a lot about myself during my time here as well- one of the biggest life lessons being that life is not a Judy Blume book (Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing).

My encounter with the U of C, while definitely having its rough patches, has been one of the most fulfilling experiences I’ve had so far, and while you’re reading this and thinking should I transfer to that state school back at home, as I did when I was just a first year, just think of all the experiences and opportunities you’d miss out on if you went anywhere else (maybe I’m just feeling nostalgic?). While, I’m not saying that U of C is perfect in anyway or that it’s the right college for everybody, I am indeed suggesting that if you got accepted, chances are you belong here.

UChicago has become like a second home for me over these last couple of years. I’ve met some amazing, unique, intelligent and talented people, some of which have become great friends. I’ve gotten the chance to meet some of the best professionals in various fields, got to experience Hyde Park in all its glory when Obama was elected back in ’08, unfortunately got the chance to know the Reg all too well (back when the A-level was the most popular place on campus…sigh), seen UChicago go through some drastic changes, and of course some learning took place along the way (UChicago’s a great place for that you know).

As for right now, I’m trying to just be a college student, and forget the fact that in a couple of months, I will no longer have the privilege of bearing that title, and will at some point have to enter the “real world.” While, I’m excited and anxious at the same time, I guess all great things must come to an end, and so my time will at the U of C. But, there are still so many things I have to do before I go, and so little time remaining, what with a full course load, extracurricular activities, and of course trying to figure out what my next step will be. Wish me luck!

Stay tuned… Lessons of a 4th Year up next!!