Out With the Old, In With the New: The Ever-Changing Hyde Park Restaurant Scene

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

Neighborhoods around college campuses are often meccas for great dining options and the historic and charming Hyde Park area proves to be no exception. The University of Chicago and its surrounding areas are home to many delicious restaurants, many of which have been family-owned for several generations. However, the restaurant scene has been drastically changing in recent years and trendier chain restaurants have been emerging amongst the neighborhood staples. For current college students, Hyde Park and its surrounding areas now provide a unique and individual blend of modernity and charm. Here’s a list of five recently opened restaurants that have already been attracting many students in the area:

1. A10 Hyde Park (1462 E. 53rd St.)

A10, a new gourmet restaurant opened by chef Matthias Merges, adds a creative spin on popular Italian and French dishes. With a trendy and classy ambiance, full bar and delicious foods for every course, A10 has become a hotspot for many Chicagoans. Although this restaurant is definitely the priciest on the list, it’s an awesome place for a date night or a special occasion!

2. Yusho Japanese Grill and Noodle House (1301 E. 53rd St.)

Yusho Japanese Grill is expanding throughout the country, from Las Vegas to Chicago’s Logan Square neighborhood. The most recent location addition comes to Hyde Park, where students can enjoy various takes on Japanese street food. From various flavors of ramen and buns to the more traditional noodle dishes, Yusho adds a trendy, modern and delicious flare to the Hyde Park restaurant scene.

3. Chant (1509 E. 53rd St.)

Another addition to the list of Hyde Park restaurants includes Chant, a trendy Asian fusion restaurant in the busy 53rd Street corridor. This restaurant features traditional Chinese and Thai dishes as well as a huge amount of exciting fusion dishes. The ambience is part of the dining experience with dimmed lighting, weekly live band performances and a full bar.

4.) Chipotle Mexican Grill (1522 E. 53rd St.)

One of the most awaited additions to the fast-food scene in the neighborhood was the opening of Hyde Park’s first Chipotle restaurant (the wait for a burrito was nearly two hours on opening day)! This chain restaurant has become a popular spot for UChicago students to enjoy delicious inexpensive Mexican cuisine.

5. Native Foods Café (518 E. Harper Ct.)

One of the most prominent additions to the new restaurant scene comes with a vegan chain restaurant called the Native Foods Café. This chain has already made a huge name for itself in other parts of Chicago, and the new Hyde Park location has only further added to the buzz. This restaurant serves tacos, wraps, burgers and salads with vegan-friendly “meats” made out of soy, veggies and wheat products to provide a fully plant-based meal to its customers. A large variety of specialty drinks, such as lavender lemonade and watermelon fresca juice accompany its delicious meals!