Highly Caffeinated

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

There are the late nights spent studying, the early morning classes and the long days to get through. What you don’t have to worry about is not being able to get a good dose of caffeine or substantial nourishment.

UChicago has a plethora of coffee shops ranging from Starbucks to basement cafés. With so many choices it can be hard find the best coffee shop, and no one wants to waste precious flex dollars on a bad cup of coffee. No worries.

I took one for the team and have been trying out these different coffee shops this week. So now that I have enough caffeine in my bloodstream to last me for days, here’s the results.
[ pagebreak ]
Law School Café

If you decide to make trip to the lovely Law School you can also enjoy a cup of coffee. The coffee is standard and will suffice in the caffeine department. During the week you can find lunch items such as sandwiches or Asian cuisine.

Location:
Law School, Green Lounge
Hours:
Monday–Thursday: 7:30 a.m.–6:00 p.m.
Friday: 7:30 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
[ pagebreak ]
Ex Libris

The recently opened café in the Reg has its perks. The location is great if you want a study break to grab some coffee or a snack. Also the seating is conducive to group work and discussion. There are some sandwiches and a few different coffee drinks including hot chocolate. The prices are relatively cheap and they do take flex! The coffee is good, nothing exceedingly great but better than some. Being fairly new, I think in time the Ex Libris will grow and become an excellent spot for study breaks and group work.

Location:
Regenstein Library, A-level
Hours:
Monday–Thursday: 8:30 a.m.–11:30 p.m.
Friday: 8:30 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: 2:00 p.m.–11:30 p.m.
[ pagebreak ]
Gargoyle Café

If a sandwich is what you are yearning for then the Gargoyle Café is the place to go. Their specialty is making sandwiches just the way you like them. There are plenty of coffee options and 3rd year student Anasuya Kabad highly recommends the hot chocolate. The employees enhance your experience with their cheery disposition.

Location:
Stuart Hall, basement
Hours:
Monday–Thursday: 8:00 a.m.–6:00 p.m.
Friday: 7:30 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
[ pagebreak ]
Hallowed Grounds

Ahh, the Hallowed Grounds. I thoroughly enjoy this coffee spot. There are a good number of options for tea and coffee. You can grab a bite to eat if you like as well. Retro music sets the mood of this eclectic shop with pool tables and over sized chairs. A relatively quiet place that works well for studying but also a comfortable environment for a cup of coffee with a friend.

Location:
Reynolds Club, 2nd floor
Hours:
Monday–Friday: 10:00 a.m.–11:30 p.m.
Saturday–Sunday: Noon–11:30 p.m.
[ pagebreak ]
Divinity School Coffee Shop

Until I went to the Divinity School Coffee Shop, Cobb was my favorite by far. Now, there is some competition. The Div School Coffee Shop has wonderful coffee, regular or specialty drinks. If you are tea person, never fear they have that too. The prices are extremely reasonable, one of the cheapest coffee shops on campus. As for food, they too have local Hyde Park favorites. From sandwiches to Cajun food to sweets, they’ve got it all. There is seating that is comfortable for casual studying or conversation. They only downside to this coffee shop is that it is cash only. So when you inevitably run out of flex dollars grab a dollar and a quarter and swing by the Div School for a cup of coffee.

Location:
Swift Hall, basement
Hours:
Monday–Friday: 8:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m.

Don’t see your favorite? Look out for part II later this week!

Kali West

U Chicago

Jessica Ro

U Chicago

Jessica Ro is a third-year Public Policy student originally from Santa Monica, California, a city just west of Los Angeles. Jessica joined Her Campus because she loved the concept of reaching out specifically to college-aged females through writing.