Film Screening: The Island President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

After a nice long, break filled with sleep, family and relaxation, keep the fun going with a movie night! But instead of a lighthearted rom-com or a comedy, pop by the Harper Memorial Library Thursday night for the educational and interesting “The Island President.”

The film is the story of the island Maldives president Mohamed Nasheed. Watch as the president takes on the task of democracy in a formally despotic ruled country and the responsibility of the island’s survival, with all his trials and struggles coming to a point at the Copenhagen Climate Summit. With the island’s fate in his hands, Nasheed must appeal to other developing nations on the issue of climate change. The low-lying islands are slated to become uninhabitable with a sea level rise of three feet. See how the president leads a nation and pressures the global political community to come together in a fight against climate change!

When: Thursday, January 10

Where: Harper Memorial Library

Time: Begins at 6:30

Cost: Free!!

Kali West

U Chicago

Annie Pei

U Chicago

Annie is a Political Science major at the University of Chicago who not only writes for Her Campus, but is also one of Her Campus UChicago's Campus Correspondents. She also acts as Editor-In-Chief of Diskord, an online op-ed publication based on campus, and as an Arts and Culture Co-Editor for the university's new Undergraduate Political Review. When she's not busy researching, writing, and editing articles, Annie can be found pounding out jazz choreography in a dance room, furiously cheering on the Vancouver Canucks, or around town on the lookout for new places, people, and things. This year, Annie is back in DC interning with Voice of America once again!