Empowering through Art: Jasmine Bath

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

For some, art acts as a form of emotional release while others aspire to raise philosophical questions through their pieces. For others, art is mostly observed, appreciated for its aesthetic pleasure or ability to evoke certain feelings. Jasmine Bath, who is helping lead the arts community service RSO ArtShould, is using art to create comfortable, creative environments for elementary and middle school students.

Involved in the arts throughout her life, the third-year Geography major knew that she wanted to remain active in the arts scene at UChicago. As a kid growing up in Portland, art was Jasmine’s life, as she spent her evenings sketching or teaching classmates how to draw. Her propensity for art stems from her parents who both attended art school and spent their weekends making crafts with their daughter. Though much of her previous experience is centered on digital art (composing images through Photoshop and Illustrator), Jasmine has enrolled in various art classes at UChicago, including one centered on conceptual installations.

In hopes of meeting other UChicago students interested in art, Jasmine joined ArtShould the winter quarter of her first year. Her positive experiences in the classroom combined with a desire to encourage other students to involve themselves in artistic activities led Jasmine to continue volunteering as a teacher and eventually join the board and lead the RSO.

ArtShould, a fairly new RSO, has approximately 70 teachers as well as an impressive 405 people on its listhost. Although its main purpose has been to serve schools in the Chicago area, ArtShould has also expanded to include on-campus events. After a successful turnout last year, the RSO will be organizing another “Second Fridays” trip to Pilsen in which various stores and galleries open their doors for public viewings. Jasmine also discussed plans for a “day of workshops” sometime spring quarter that would be devoted to making art projects. Jasmine emphasized the ability of the arts to create a safe, positive space that allows people to share their experience as an individual, whether they provide the perspective of a student or a Chicagoan. 

Although she admits that teaching can be difficult, Jasmine talked of the gratification felt after breaking through to a struggling or misbehaving student and having the child produce a well-executed project. She also enjoys running into her students and their parents while walking around Hyde Park and the increased interaction with the community that has come with working with the students. All in all, Jasmine hopes to foster an environment similar to the one that had allowed her to release her creativity as a child.

The emphasis of ArtShould is not on the children’s artistic talent but on the power of art to create safe spaces and become a means of expression that engenders positive feelings and confidence. When asked what ArtShould do, Jasmine provided two words: embolden and release.

Jessica Ro

U Chicago

Jessica Ro is a third-year Public Policy student originally from Santa Monica, California, a city just west of Los Angeles. Jessica joined Her Campus because she loved the concept of reaching out specifically to college-aged females through writing.