Dating During Midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

“No, sorry, I can’t go out today, tomorrow or ever because I’m so busy.” We’ve all heard it and said it many times. The classic UChicago excuse for locking ourselves away in the Reg (which is totally understandable when you actually have pressing work) and avoiding branching out of our comfort zone. That’s why this midterms week you should make time to go on a date. That’s right: a date. Whether it’s with a girl friend or someone you’re potentially romantically interested in based on that semi-conversation you shared in math last week, here are a few easy “excuses” to convince yourself (and a friend!) to take a much deserved break this week:

1. $1 Milkshake Wednesday

Ok, so I know it’s freezing outside lately and a cold milkshake may sound like the last thing you want. However, I can assure you that studying in a warm room before grabbing one will make it totally worth it. $1 milkshake Wednesdays are a great excuse to get together with a potential romantic-interest because it’s casual enough that it won’t feel like a date, but you’ll still get quality alone time. Text your (super cute) guy friend and say you really want a milkshake, but you’ve heard they taste better when you’re with great company. Set a time that’s convenient for your study schedule and enjoy your sweet treat!…Oh, and the milkshake, too.

2. Doc Films

Admittedly, I’ve never been to Doc Films, but I’ve heard great things. There a few interesting titles playing this week that could be an ideal way to catch up with a friend. Not only will you be changing locations (which is a nice physical hiatus from studying), but you will also ensure that you only leave your work for a set amount of time unlike streaming Scandal on Netflix only to realize you’ve been watching it for four hours. 

3. Post-pastries Harper Session

Did you know the Med sells pastries for $1 after 10pm? Much like a casual milkshake date, this midterms “date” is an even better excuse to get together with that cutie from math class. Meet at the Med to grab a few $1 pastries and head to Harper afterwards for a late-night study sesh. The sugar rush from the pastries and your eye-candy study buddy will make working on that problem set even sweeter. 

Annie Pei

U Chicago

Annie is a Political Science major at the University of Chicago who not only writes for Her Campus, but is also one of Her Campus UChicago's Campus Correspondents. She also acts as Editor-In-Chief of Diskord, an online op-ed publication based on campus, and as an Arts and Culture Co-Editor for the university's new Undergraduate Political Review. When she's not busy researching, writing, and editing articles, Annie can be found pounding out jazz choreography in a dance room, furiously cheering on the Vancouver Canucks, or around town on the lookout for new places, people, and things. This year, Annie is back in DC interning with Voice of America once again!