Back in the States

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

The most wonderful experience of studying abroad came to a close at the end of December. After customs and security, I ran through JFK airport with a giant bag of pastries for my parents, desperate to make my connecting flight. No matter how cool Chucks look, they will not make you as fast as basketball hall of famer Dennis Rodman, which I found out despite my sprinting as I missed my flight. Welcome back to America!

After a minor trauma in the airport, I took the next flight and finally arrived in Cleveland. But home felt a little awkward, like when you try on clothes from years ago and they just don’t feel quite right though they’re the right size. So as happy as I was to see my family and celebrate the holidays, I knew it would definitely be a period of adjustment.

For one thing, it took me a full week to recover from jet lag. Once I was sleeping soundly, I started to get used to driving again. Spending time at home and with my family was relaxing but the true trial was ahead: my return to UChicago.

This first week has already proven more stressful than I anticipated. There’s the cold, my new apartment, working back into the groove at Ex Libris, running in artic temperatures. Most of all, there is the schoolwork and the paper work that goes along with it. So in the spirit of New Years Resolutions, I have set up some tips to acclimate back into the UChicago life style.

1) Quality over Quantity:

This quarter I am only taking three classes. These classes are difficult in their own right and I have decided to focus my energy on top performance rather that stretching myself too thin.

2) Prioritize Paper Work

One thing no one wants to do is fill out tedious paper work. It’s not easy running around campus in the freezing cold searching for the right offices. I have set a goal though to finish all my paper work by Sunday. Putting this off, as tempting as it may be, will do me no favors.

Last but not least…

3) Giving it Time

After talking with family and friends I have gleaned that one of the most important things to do in order to readjust is giving myself enough time to do so. This goes for getting back in shape, returning to my regular healthy eating habits, adjusting to the workload. None of these things will happen over night and stressing about them every night certainly will not help. Instead, I am using the support from my friends and family and organizations to work through the first two weeks. And also, never forgetting to have a little fun and making sure I don’t work too hard.

Have any tips on coming back to UChicago after study abroad? Please comment! 

Kali West

U Chicago

Jessica Ro

U Chicago

Jessica Ro is a third-year Public Policy student originally from Santa Monica, California, a city just west of Los Angeles. Jessica joined Her Campus because she loved the concept of reaching out specifically to college-aged females through writing.