5 Things To Do Over Thanksgiving Break in Chicago

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

McDonald’s Thanksgiving Parade

Thursday, 8 a.m.

On it’s 79th year, this parade is expected to attract a crowd of over 400,000 people (!!!). The parade will start on State/Congress and continue north to Randolph. Get there early (and I mean real early) if you want to grab a good viewing spot.

Thanksgiving Lunch at Bistronomic

Thursday, 12 -9 p.m. -$40 with student ID

If you want a legit Thanksgiving meal and you’re willing to splurge a bit, get yourself a seat at Bistronomic, an upscale French restaurant located on Magnificent Mile. For your lunch or dinner, you’ll dine on turkey, duck confit with sweet potato puree, short ribs with braised oxtail, and butter squash and apple tarte tatin. Sounds yummy! 

Get more info at Bistronomic’s site. Reservations are required!

Global Dance Party: Joe Rendon Quintet

Friday, 8:30 p.m. – $10

Get your salsa, mamba, & cha cha cha on to the tropical rhythms of this Afro-Caribbean percussion group at the Old Town School of Folk Music. There will be a Latin dance class at 8:30 p.m.

Get more info at the event’s website.

Museum of Contemporary Art

Check out the first major solo museum exhibition in the US of Brussels-based artist, Jimmy Robert, or the Black & White exhibit which displays, you guessed it, black and white works from the museum’s permanent collection. Bonus, entrance to the MCA is free with your UCID!

Go to MCA’s website for more info. 

Christkindlmarket 2012

Held at Daley Plaza, the annual open-air, German-style market will be going on its 17th year in Chicago. You’ll find handmade ornaments, accessories, clothing, and gifts from 50+ vendors as well as performances and an abundance of German food like bratwurst and schnitzel.

Go to the event’s website for more info. 

Jessica Ro

U Chicago

Jessica Ro is a third-year Public Policy student originally from Santa Monica, California, a city just west of Los Angeles. Jessica joined Her Campus because she loved the concept of reaching out specifically to college-aged females through writing.