You Have Time? Why Not Read?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

When I handed in my last major assignment for the summer term that just passed by, I was so excited to finally start reading leisurely. You can say I was probably way too excited to have time to just relax and read books that were not mandatory for me to read and write essays about! Anyways, here are just some of the books I read this past month:

Normal People by Sally Rooney

I can’t say enough good things about this novel!! I read this in a span of one day because it was one of those books that will just capture your attention in one sitting. In my opinion, the book was such an easy and one day read was because the story revolves around human connection and how the author effectively portrays it in a manner that is simple yet universal. 

In Five Years by Rebecca Serle

I thought this book was interesting because it explores the ever so common question that most adult conversation tends to have: “Where do you see yourself in five years?.” The author did an interesting way of actually portraying this ever cliche question. I suppose you just have to read the book to figure out what way exactly! 

Circe by Madeline Miller

I have always been into Greek mythology. I was one of those kids who was obsessed with the Percy Jackson series and all things greek mythology at that point. This book has actually been on my reading list for a while now, I just didn’t have the time to read it because of other school readings. So, when I had free time over the summer I was finally able to read it. I would definitely recommend this book if you are interested in Greek mythology. I love the fact that it is a story about a Greek goddess that is not the typical Athena or Aphrodite type, which made it a lot more interesting! 

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman

I definitely think that this book should be on everyone’s reading list. I simply love this book. It tackles incredibly relevant themes of love, friendship, loss, opportunities, failures, etc. All of these through the life story of this fifty-nine year old man named Ove. Ove’s story will leave you speechless in the end. Every time my friends ask me what books they should read, this would definitely be in my top five! 

Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine by Gail Honeyman

Not gonna lie, but I’m pretty sure I chose to read this book because Eleanor shares similar traits as me! This book is an easy read because the story is quite casual but definitely achieves authenticity and warmth for the reader. It doesn’t fail to showcase the realities of life, from the heartbreaks to the joyous of moments. OH, and it’s funny!

Lyell Tibayan

U Alberta '21

Lyell is a fourth year Education student in the University of Alberta, with a Social Studies major and Health Studies minor. She enjoys reading, writing and anything associated with wellness (nutrition and physical activity).
Simi is a senior at the University of Alberta studying Sociology and Religious Studies. She grew up in Houston Texas and lives by the saying “go big or go home”. She is currently Her Campus Ualberta's Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent. School, volunteering, clubs, and work occupy most of her time. You can find her on Instagram at @simi.bhangoo.