This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

The 2020 presidential election is coming up soon! At this point, whether there will be a new president is uncertain. Although this is an American election, the effects of the vote will be felt globally. Canadians should start to consider how this result could impact us.

Case 1: Trump Wins

Trump has fostered a frosty relationship with the Liberal government of Canada. Part of Canada’s economy relies on trade with the US; they buy many of our products. Under Trump, the NAFTA trade deal was renegotiated; profiting for American businesses but a disadvantage for Canadian retailers. This trade policy will likely continue into the second term. Trump has also sparked a trade war with China, which could spark a global recession, adding on to the current recession because of the pandemic.

Trump’s handling of Covid-19 has left over 200,000 dead, leaving the US-Canada borders firmly shut. The US government shows no sign of enforcing masks or social distancing, so it will be a long time before we can travel to the US as freely as we used to.

Case 2: Biden Wins

Biden’s proposed policies are much more in line with the current Liberal government in Canada. Biden has made it clear he wants to repair the US-Canada relationship, and his long history of experience with foreign policy can help to ease the tension.

Managing the pandemic under a Biden administration will be extremely different. His platform promises to be vigilant in stemming the spread of the virus. Flattening the curve will open up the borders sooner and allow the global economy to recover faster.

Biden also has plans to tackle climate change, and he has pledged to reaffirm the US’s commitment to the Paris Climate Agreement that Canada and another 194 countries signed. Unfortunately for Alberta’s economy, Biden has promised to stop the Keystone access pipeline.  This may cause some controversy for the oil and gas industry, but other provinces have indicated they are in favour of halting the pipeline. This reflects opinion polls where the majority of Canadian’s were in support of Biden, except for Alberta.

On November 3, Canadians and the rest of the world will see who ends up victorious. No matter the result, there will be change; whether that is good or bad will depend. 

Alexa Gee

U Alberta '21

Alexa Gee is a senior at the University of Alberta. She is completing a Bachelor of Science with a Biology major and Sociology minor.
Robin is a senior student at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Alberta. She is getting a Science Degree, with a Psychology major and a double minor in Sociology & Biology. Part-time jobs, full-time classes, various student groups and volunteering fill most of her time. Robin is the 2020/2021 President of Her Campus at UAlberta and served as the social media director for the 2018/2019 year!