This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

At Her Campus @ UAlberta’s meeting on February 5th, 2020, some of our members responded to the writing prompt: What does Valentine’s Day mean to you? 

Here is what they had to say:

My Relationship With Valentine’s Day – Nicole de Grano

I hate the amount of pressure that’s always placed on Valentine’s Day. It makes me so uncomfortable sometimes – that I’m expected to have a significant other, I’m expected to go on a date, expected to make of it something that I don’t see it as. The commercialization of a single date makes it so unrelatable, and makes me feel like I can’t celebrate it, especially because of my relationship status.

Being single is so much fun. 

I’ve never been in a relationship, and don’t foresee it happening soon, due to the fact that I barely even have time to talk to myself. So to me, Valentine’s Day is a day that I designate to hang out with my girlfriends. We bake cookies and cakes and drink coffee and tea, and watch the cringiest rom-coms that we can find. Instead of focusing on the fact that I don’t have a boyfriend, I focus on the relationships I do have and make those even stronger. 

How I Feel About Valentine’s Day – Kate Puim

I believe it’s over played out and it’s not so much about appreciating people and loving others 

but more of a marketing ploy. It’s about gifts and not about spending time with each other and 

being thankful it’s more of a competition on who gets what and what their night was like. Its 

teaching women to be materialistic and value items instead of people. And you should be 

appreciating and loving people every day, but now people feel forced to buy something. People 

become ungrateful and materialistic and soon after valentine’s day people break up because 

they were used. Its another cuffing season. 

What Is Valentines Day? – Mandisha Kaur

It’s the time of the year, another capitalist showcase of “love.” Flowers, lingerie, chocolate, sexist commercialization, good things and bad all tied into one.

As Virginia Woolf said, most times I sit here dumb helpless with wonder at the  peculiarities of human existence.

What Valentine’s Day Means to Me – Robin Andrews

Valentine’s Day makes me think of lingerie. And lingerie makes me think of the numerous times that I’ve gone into multiple stores to try things on and how every time I felt like lingerie does not work on my body. I feel like a young girl who snuck into her mother’s drawer and is playing dress up. Body image is something that everyone is challenged with, but in my opinion, having an expectation that on this day women should surprise their partner with red lace is putting unique, diverse people into a single stereotyped box. Some people might feel the most sexy when they are naked, when they are in their comfortable pyjamas, in lace, in cotton, covered up, in their favourite little red dress, or in the shower. I think that it is unrealistic to expect all women to feel sexy in the same clothes or situations.

What Does Valentine’s Day Mean To You? – Maia de Borja

My relationship with Valentine’s day is complicated. I find it both unnecessary and exciting. 

I have been with my boyfriend for 5.5 years. We have both never took Valentine’s Day too 

seriously. I used to view Valentine’s Day as a corporate holiday that drains my wallet and that I 

never wanted to really participate in. Now, though, I take it as an excuse to spoil my boyfriend 

more than usual. I know that I can give him a gift any day of the year, which I do sometimes, but 

I think that Valentine’s day has been socially structured to enforce one’s relationship status. 

But Valentine’s Day isn’t just about my boyfriend and I. Valentine’s day is about receiving those 

little folded pieces of paper from kids. It’s about the chocolate gift baskets my mom will leave on 

my desk every year. It’s about watching other people that are in love be in love and finding 

comfort in the fact that I have found someone on the same wavelength as me.  

What does Valentine’s Day mean to you? Let us know on our Instagram @hcualberta, and we would love to add your point of view to this article!

Robin is a senior student at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Alberta. She is getting a Science Degree, with a Psychology major and a double minor in Sociology & Biology. Part-time jobs, full-time classes, various student groups and volunteering fill most of her time. Robin is the 2020/2021 President of Her Campus at UAlberta and served as the social media director for the 2018/2019 year!
Nicole is in her undergraduate degree at the University of Alberta, double majoring in Political Science and Women's and Gender Studies. On campus, you can find her volunteering for many organizations, or studying with friends, and getting coffee. During her free time, she loves to sing karaoke, watch cheesy rom-coms, and take all the naps. Find her on Instagram @nicoledegrano! 
Kate Puim

U Alberta '24

Visual Communications graduate turned psychology student. I'm a master at finding affordable beauty products and stylish outfits. I dig coffee, chocolate, bold lipstick and pandas. Mental health advocate and your new best friend.
Hi! I'm Mandisha, you can call me Mandy. I like to write and put things up on the internet for people to see.
Maia de Borja

U Alberta '21

Maia (my-uh) is in her fourth year at the University of Alberta. She is working towards a Bachelor of Secondary Education with a major in English and minor in ESL. In her spare time you can find Maia studying with a chai latte close by, at the gym, at one of her three part time jobs,volunteering or exploring town with her boyfriend and friends (usually in the pursuit of good food!) You can follow her on Instagram at @maiadeborja