This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

Let me start with the fact I haven’t ALWAYS hated the spookiest day of the year. In fact, I previously loved dressing up, parading around in my costume with my friends and later getting the best sugar high of my life. But this middle ground of ages 16-25 really sucks.

Halloween has lost its razzle dazzle of all things spook-tacular. All senses used to be heightened and every jump scare, or creepy costume actually had an effect on how the day was meant to be celebrated. But now, costumes have become more of a ‘who wore it best’ contest and the only scary part of the night is watching the guy you’ve hooked up with at the bar reveal who he really is under that spider-man mask, and honey, it isn’t Peter Parker. 

Bars sell over-priced tickets AND you still have to wait an hour in the freezing cold, in a skimpy costume because your friends talked you out of the extra $3 coat charge. Once you’re inside, it’s insanely packed, and the smell of B.O essentially makes you want to throw up because every guy who doesn’t want to show off their 6-pack has opted to take on the most ridiculous costume which requires 1000 layers or an inflatable pump.

And if bars aren’t your scene, house parties aren’t a great second option. The pressure of which friend is throwing it, the cost of costumes and décor and the fights that ensue because the party is invite only since your bff’s apartment has a max capacity all lead to the same conclusion. Halloween has become more about the party and how your costume will fit into your Instagram feed.

This isn’t to say that Halloween can’t be fun for some people, but from my last couple years of experience, and the people I interact with, we’ve all shared this same sense that Halloween has lost the magical essence it once held.

Dawson Black

U Alberta '21

Dawson is a fourth (and final!) year BA student. Outside of writing and engaging a little too much on social media, you can find Dawson at the nearest happy hour or cafe- always with a drink in hand.
Robin is a senior student at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Alberta. She is getting a Science Degree, with a Psychology major and a double minor in Sociology & Biology. Part-time jobs, full-time classes, various student groups and volunteering fill most of her time. Robin is the 2020/2021 President of Her Campus at UAlberta and served as the social media director for the 2018/2019 year!