This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

If you’re anything like my husband and I, we love a good date.  While our definition of a date is really “anything goes”, sometimes it’s quite nice—and even needed—to shake things up. The one problem? We as students don’t always have tons of cash to spend, especially when lounging on the couch binge watching Netflix is an essentially free option. Worry not!  With a little creativity, you can stretch your budget, and still have a special time with your boo. Read on to learn about my favorite partner—and wallet—approved dates!

A Special Movie Night At Home

While I know that often what we are trying to get away from is sitting on the couch watching Netflix, the more you actually  lean into this, the better! When I orchestrated this, I went all out, and it was perhaps one our best date nights yet! While I even went as far as to build a blanket fort surrounding my couch, you certainly could just snuggle up with some cozy blankets and pillows! I also picked up of those addictive Pilsbury holiday cookies (although any snacks will do), made some hot cocoa, lit some candles, and viola! A perfect—and very Pinterest worthy—date night!

Holiday Related Activities

Possibly the most obvious on this list, I love to capitalize on holiday traditions as a couple! From dying Easter eggs and putting up a Christmas tree to carving pumpkins and building a gingerbread house, the options here are essentially endless. In the past when my partner and I have done this, we have amped things up a little bit by watching seasonal movies or having special snacks ready to munch on. By doing these activities together, you and your partner have a great opportunity to bond. 

Get Active Together

While my husband and I are self proclaimed couch potatoes, getting active can really mean anything! From going for a stroll by the river valley to cycling trails all over the city, the options here are truly endless! Other options include hiking, skating (I highly recommend the Victoria Park Ice Trail!), and yes, even Lime Scooters. What’s really the most important here is not what you’re doing, but who you’re doing it with! 

Attend a Festival Together

Edmonton isn’t known as the festival city for no reason! We are so lucky to live in a city which hosts an abundance of festivals throughout the year. While some cost more than others, there are many affordable and super fun options for you and your partner to enjoy. This year, my husband and I attended a Fringe Festival show together, and for about $12 each, we had an absolutely fantastic time. Other city festivals include The Festival of Trees, Ice on Whyte, and even The Edmonton International Cat Fest! 

Wander Around a Farmers Market Together

Whether or not you are in the mood to shop or not, you really can’t beat a good farmers’ market. Taking in the sights, the smells, and the samples is a fantastic way to spend an afternoon. Some of the best markets in the city include The Strathcona Farmers Market (Saturdays from 8am – 3pm) and The Edmonton Downtown Market (Saturdays from 9am – 3pm). In addition to these markets, the upcoming months are absolutely jam-packed with seasonal and holiday markets! 

Catch A Studio Theatre Performance Right Here At The U of A

Every year, the Faculty of Arts puts together several theatrical productions which they perform at the Timm’s Center. This year, there are four options to choose from, ranging from comedy to romance. For a mere $12 each, you can not only go on an out of the box date, but also support your fellow students. Need something even cheaper? Monday nights are two for one tickets. That’s only $6 a person! Check out the various productions and ticket pricing here.

Take A Stroll Through The Art Gallery of Alberta

The Art Gallery of Alberta is located in a beautiful building just off Churchill Square, and is brimming with unique artworks. Exhibitions at the AGA often have cultural significance, and are absolutely mesmerizing to look at. The best part? Admission to the AGA is absolutely free with student ID. Next time you’re looking for something to do on a rainy day, I highly recommend you check the Art Gallery of Alberta out!  

Note: My husband finds the AGA to be rather warm and humid. While I have never experienced any discomfort, if you are also sensitive to temperature, I would suggest you dress in some sort of layers so you can cool down if need be! 

Stephanie Shin

U Alberta '22

Stephanie Shin (she/her) is a third year honours pre-law student, majoring in sociology and minoring in political science. When she's not studying fervently, you can find her enjoying a book, sipping at a cup of tea, playing with her miniature dachshund, Bentley, and spending entirely too much money on food.