Toxic Trends in Social Media and Society

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.
“Cancelled” Culture, No Room for Proof:

Seen in reality as lynch mob culture. The evolution of the #MeToo Movement however, not the root cause of. This can be a prime example when mainly men are scared to make any type of gesture and are unsure if they have to ask for consent every time, even for hand holding. Because when dealing with the #MeToo Movement, there are various stand points from the observation of women. There are women who come forward with their true and accurate stories. However, there are those that make up completely falsified stories, this carrying consequences for men and women alike. If their falsified story is believed, innocent people will be charged and more learn to follow in their footsteps. If not, people can recognize this, sometimes even as far as think all of those with similar stories to tell are lying.

Author’s note: If you have been a victim and want to someday share your #MeToo story when you are ready or already have, you are fully welcomed and supported. Please continue to be brave and bold. However, when predominantly women in this movement, who have never been a victim share false claims. It only becomes unethical to come forward when it would be false and would carry unjust consequences.

Ghosting:

Can be seen as the easy way out of something that is too hard to take accountability for. Whether it is before the first date, or dating someone for as little as or for more than six months. Ghosting is classified as one person leaving the other without any forewarning – this can include any type of relationship. This is why ghosting is often painful for those that have been ghosted.

Stigma of Mental Health:

Particularly on social media, when someone passes away from suicide, it is known as “tragic,” “preventable” and “heartbreaking.” However, if someone expresses on the internet that they’re suffering from depression or having suicidal thoughts, they’re often seen as “crazy.” However, most people tend to forget that those who have died from a “tragic” and “preventable” deaths have reached out or posted somewhere as an attempt to get help before ending their life.

Comparison of Lives Over Media and the Creation of a “Perfect” Life to Others:

Consequences include narcissism, low self esteem, feelings of worthless and hopelessness. This happens as a result of wanting to achieve perfection in the eyes of others and the need to impress others. 

Glorification of Overworking:

Working until one is drained mentally, emotionally and physically. It is seen as desirable and is normalized in modern societies. This is exemplified when someone states that they have worked for 40+ hours, and in such cases people tend to think that working more hours is a sign of being dedicated to their work, of being skilled and lavish. In comparison to working only 10 hours, which is seen as being lazy and lacking dedication. This can be contributed to the relationship between time and money, since the more hours and money someone has, the bigger their percieved contribution is. Whether it’s to their household  or society benefactor. However, the greater the number of worked hours, the greater the risk of burnout. Working long hours is not always problematic, it only becomes contentious when it is glorified and normalized, in particular where the negative outcomes outweigh the positive outcomes, such as when someone can no longer take care of their mental health and get a good night’s sleep due to endless working hours.

The Phrase “Blood is Thicker Than Water” aka the Translation of How Family Should Always Be your Solid Word and Bond:

The predicament for everyone’s family situation is different, however there are generally two depictions of family relationships; the relationship with your family is categorized as either positive or negative. This is supported by when someone asks you the following question, “How is your relationship with your family?”  Whether it ranges from: Loving, happy, supportive, not the best, could be better, not perfect, complicated, spiteful, rocky, abusive, dangerous. Despite what others may think and the assumption that “family is family,” someone is not obligated to give affection back since family is required by law to raise their children until they are eighteen years old. And until that day, families, or more specifically parents can neglect or abuse their children for a number of years. Hence this demonstrates why the phrase “blood is thicker than water” is not always valid.

Taylor Bellerose

U Alberta '21

I am in my fourth year of education, my major is history and minor is English. I have volunteer experience in Big Brothers and Big Sisters and Animethon. I have also taken part in YEG’s Semi Colon 2016 tattoo fundraiser event to raise money and awareness for mental health. I have certification in both First Aid and Mental Health training. I am just someone who is dedicated to changing to the world, whether it is in the way of words, the creation of food and art or just by being here to listen. I first wanted to become a teacher when I heard my grade 8 teacher talk about the Renaissance period, since then I have never looked back. When I encountered grade 12, my passion to teach and to change the world only became stronger, as my classmates dropped out all around me and my teacher said, "Not my problem." Therefore, I decided to take on the torch for this to become "my problem," By pursuing my degree in education and recognizing that struggling students are not hopeless, that in fact, their futures are bright and infinite. Because I want them to find their way and to realize that I am the solution.
Robin is a senior student at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Alberta. She is getting a Science Degree, with a Psychology major and a double minor in Sociology & Biology. Part-time jobs, full-time classes, various student groups and volunteering fill most of her time. Robin is the 2020/2021 President of Her Campus at UAlberta and served as the social media director for the 2018/2019 year!