timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Three Reasons to Give Jesus Christ Superstar a Chance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

I already know what you’re thinking. It’s probably along the lines of, “Seriously? A musical about Jesus? A rock musical?”

The answer is yes. And, you’re going to love it.

Don’t worry; I can understand where you are coming from. I too had my doubts about it before I gave it a chance. My mother, a devout catholic (and rock and roll fanatic), would always blast the soundtrack in the car and in the house growing up, but I didn’t grow to love it until I was in my late teens and watched the movie for myself. Now, like every year without fail as Easter approaches, I find myself listening to it non-stop! With a new live version premiering on April 1st, I want to spread the word of why more people should give Jesus Christ Superstar a chance. (And, no, I am not talking about the 2000 version. I am talking about the 1973 version. Please don’t watch the 2000 version, unless you want to be in physical pain.)

So, in no particular order, here are 3 reasons to watch Jesus Christ Superstar!

The cast is multi-racial

This has been a huge talking point the past couple years, and Jesus Christ Superstar accomplished a racially diverse cast all the way back in 1973! 45 years ago! The woman playing Mary Magdalene is a Japanese Hawaiian, and Judas is played by a black man. The Apostles and extras are people of all backgrounds.

The songs go hard AF

You’d think for a musical done by Andrew Lloyd Webber that it would be a total snooze-fest, yet Jesus Christ Superstar is anything but that. There is a bit of everything for everyone, including ballads (Mary Magdalene’s solo, I Don’t Know How to Love Him, and the ensemble number Could We Start Again Please), bluesy jams (Jesus Must Die), and good old fashioned classic rock songs (Judas’ opening number: Heaven on Their Minds). It is also worth mentioning that the cast is insanely talented, especially the man playing Jesus: Ted Neeley. If anything, give the movie a try to hear Ted Neeley’s high notes in his solo song, Gethsemane.

It’s peak 70s aesthetic

This is either a positive or a negative, depending on how you look at it. The 70s look is a look that is very in-your-face. (There are bell bottoms, perms, and platformer shoes.) All are generously featured in Jesus Christ Superstar. Judas at one point wears a white suit drowning in fringes! It’s both tacky and very stylish!

Jesus Christ Superstar really affected me because it was like nothing I had ever seen. It may not be the best movie out there or have aged the best, but I can tell you for a fact that there is nothing out there like it. At the very least, maybe it will grow on you!

Bethany is a 21 year-old with a big heart and even bigger dreams attending the University of Alberta. She loves writing and reading, video games, daydreaming, and her dog, Pepper. 
Breanne D

U Alberta '19

Co-founder and proud alumna of Her Campus at UAlberta.