Things To Do at Home While You’re Social Distancing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

With the increasing spread of COVID-19, many people are being encouraged to practice social distancing. It is an extremely important way to protect those who are vulnerable and to help flatten the curve. We all have a role to play in keeping our communities safe and we really are all in this together. That being said, spending so much time at home can be lonely and leave you feeling restless. There is still plenty that we can do with our time while we’re at home so try out some of these options!

1. Give your room a good clean through

Take the day to go through your room, do some organizing and decluttering, maybe even move some things around for a fresh look. Personally, I find decluttering a good way of relieving some stress, something beneficial at a time like this. Consider putting some items aside to donate at a later time. If you want to get really into it, watch Marie Kondo’s Netflix show for some tips!

2. Get moving

Hit up YouTube to find some fun free home workouts and dance classes. Just because you’re staying home doesn’t mean you can’t find a way to keep your body moving! It’s especially important to keep your body active at a time like this. Don’t worry if you don’t have too much space, there are plenty of options for smaller spaces. There’s a lot out there so try a different class every day to mix things up!

3. Download colouring sheets

Don’t be fooled, colouring isn’t just for kids anymore! It can actually help calm you and it’s also a good way to take a study break or give you something new to do. To make things even more interesting, 113 different museums have offered up free colouring sheets so grab some pencils and get to it!

Visit the link to get started on your masterpiece: http://www.openculture.com/2019/02/download-free-coloring-books-from-113-museums.html?fbclid=IwAR3aHiOqWGhTxIgDdQAxyhRL9AOqwQNQv7d6wWnAT-n7SDuDsrXhbmJiKcE

4. Get reading

There are few things I enjoy more than reading. I am constantly purchasing books even when my stack is already high, but now is my chance to read all of them! I can’t wait to dive into a good book with a cup of tea and a cozy blanket.

If you’ve run out of books, don’t worry! Glass Bookshop, a lovely local bookstore, is offering a delivery service. They’ve decided to close their physical doors to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, but would like to continue supporting book lovers! Visit their website to browse their wonderful selection of books, order your next read, and support local: www.glassbookshop.com

5. Make a gratitude list

It’s always important to remember that we have a lot to be thankful for, but it’s especially important during times like this. While it might not seem like it, there is still a lot of good in the world that we can focus on. Take some time to reflect and make a list of everything you’re grateful for, and I mean everything no matter how seemingly small or large! If you feel yourself getting down, take out your list and reflect on what you’ve written.

6. Netflix party

Tired of watching Netflix by yourself? Download this extension on Google Chrome and watch Netflix at the same time as your friends! It’s the perfect way to sync up and binge-watch your favourite series together, or even have a movie marathon. There’s a chatroom included so you can share your feelings about whatever you’re watching. Grab your snacks and you’re all good to go!

7. Video chat with your friends and family

We are so lucky to be able to keep communicating with the important people in our lives through technology. Take the time to check on your loved ones, it’s a lonely time for everyone. Make things interesting by trying some of the things on this list with them! It’s always nice to have someone’s company no matter what you’re doing.

8. Write letters and mail them

I feel like getting letters in the mail has become so underrated. It’s an amazing feeling to open your mailbox and see that someone took the time to handwrite you a letter! If you feel like it, you go the extra step and get creative by decorating your letter. If you have a mailbox on your street, it’s also a good chance to stretch your legs and get some fresh air.

9. Learn a new skill

Now that you’ve got time to your self at home, why not try and learn something new? If you want to learn a new language try Duolingo; there’s a lot of different languages to choose from. Want to enhance your creative side? Adobe Creative Cloud offers a variety of training courses for its different apps! If math or science is more your thing, Kahn Academy has plenty of free learning options for you!

10. Meditate

This can be an extremely stressful time for many people so if you’re feeling particularly anxious, take a deep breath. Take a few moments to quiet your mind and focus on your breathing. If you’re like me and struggle to meditate, try an app like Headspace. There are different meditation options and they’ll guide you through it.

I hope that some of the ideas on my list appeal to you and help you during this difficult time. The most important thing to remember is that you are not alone in this. Everything will be okay and it might take some time, but this too shall pass. Be kind to those around you, those out in the world, and to yourself.

Simi is a senior at the University of Alberta studying Sociology and Religious Studies. She grew up in Houston Texas and lives by the saying “go big or go home”. She is currently Her Campus Ualberta's Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent. School, volunteering, clubs, and work occupy most of her time. You can find her on Instagram at @simi.bhangoo.