This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

Working and studying from home has been a new adjustment for a lot of people. It can be hard going back into a new school year, delivered remotely, after spending our whole lives physically going to school. Trying to focus in this new environment can be difficult. It’s especially difficult if you don’t have an office that can help separate your work/school life from your home life. Whatever your work and study situation is, there are simple ways to stay focused while working from home. 

Keep a clean workspace

Having a clean and organized work environment not only helps you stay focused but can help with your productivity. Knowing where all of your materials are can save a lot of time and energy looking for them.

Hide any distractions

Sometimes it’s easier said than done but try your best to hide anything that could distract. Put your phone far away from you, out of sight and out of mind. If you’re like me and you get distracted by your comfy bed, make your bed in the morning to resist crawling back in.

Plan your day the night before

During your evening downtime, take a few minutes to plan your day. Make a list of everything you have scheduled and everything you need to get done. Having your top priorities ready for you in the morning prevents you from being distracted wondering about your to-do list.

Use the Pomodoro Technique

I’ve talked about this technique before and I always recommend it. If you find it hard to focus on the same task for longer periods, try taking it 20 minutes at a time. Once the 20 minutes is up, reward yourself with a 5-minute break and get back to it!

Drink your water

Drinking water might seem too simple but it’s so important and easy to do. It can relieve headaches you might feel from stress and can give you a boost of energy, allowing you to focus on what you need to get done. 

Rest your eyes

I recently heard of the 20-20-20 rule and it has helped my eyes which in turn has helped me stay focused. After looking at a screen for 20 minutes, take 20 seconds to look at something 20 feet away. This quick step relieves the strain on your eyes and can help prevent any headaches. 

Get up and move

Sitting at a desk all day is hard on your body and mind. Take a break and get your body moving. Go for a walk outside and get some sunshine, take a few minutes to get in a good stretch, or have a little dance party!

Be kind to yourself

It might be hard but try not to feel too defeated if you struggle to stay focused. Remember that this transition takes time and you’re doing the best you can! 

Simi is a senior at the University of Alberta studying Sociology and Religious Studies. She grew up in Houston Texas and lives by the saying “go big or go home”. She is currently Her Campus Ualberta's Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent. School, volunteering, clubs, and work occupy most of her time. You can find her on Instagram at @simi.bhangoo.