This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

Last weekend I had the opportunity to go and check out Meat, a local restaurant located in Old Strathcona. I had walked by Meat multiple times throughout my visits to Whyte Ave. but had never had the chance to actually go in and try out their menu. However, I finally got the chance to try it out, and let me tell you I was not disappointed. 

Meat is an “Authentic Southern BBQ experience” that specializes in, you guessed it, meat! From brisket to pulled pork, Meat has a plethora of different meat-based dishes to try. If a meat platter isn’t your style, they also have sandwiches and salads as well as a delicious looking dessert menu. 

Meat has a gorgeous patio as well as a large space inside the restaurant. The minute you enter the restaurant you are greeted by the host and a sanitizing station. All the tables indoors are spaced out from one another and the large picnic-style tables that are normally meant for communal dining are separated by plastic partitions. 

When it came to the meal we decided to order two different types of meat and two sides as that was suggested to us by our server. We selected the brisket and pulled pork as well as garlic fries and mac and cheese for our sides. The portions are fairly large and so they were perfect to share amongst two people. The food was incredible and being served on a platter made it easy to sample and try the different meats. The pulled pork was my personal favourite and both of the sides were absolutely amazing. 

Meat is an incredible local restaurant in Edmonton and overall I give it five stars. It is a place that I definitely recommend trying out if you are in the Old Strathcona area, you won’t be disappointed!  

Rieley Tomkinson

U Alberta '22

Rieley is a third year Elementary Education student at the University of Alberta. When she's not busy studying you can find her binging a new Netflix show, singing along to musicals, playing with her dog or curled up with a new book.
Simi is a senior at the University of Alberta studying Sociology and Religious Studies. She grew up in Houston Texas and lives by the saying “go big or go home”. She is currently Her Campus Ualberta's Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent. School, volunteering, clubs, and work occupy most of her time. You can find her on Instagram at @simi.bhangoo.