The Playlists You Need In Your Life (With Artist and Song Suggestions to Help You Get There)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

Music is a major part of my life and I am a complete generalist with taste in genres, I have a playlist for every mood and scenario you could imagine. I enjoy discovering new music and artists every day and so if you are struggling to set up your apple music or Spotify, look no further I’ve got your back. Here are the playlists you absolutely need in your library, along with some artist recommendations to get the vibe going. 

A chill lo fi listening playlist 

This is an absolute essential, whether it is for late night listening on the drive home, or just relaxing at home. This playlist is where you can get crafty with some lesser-known artists but include some well-known treasures. 

Artists: Coldplay, The Paper Kites, Brockhampton, Abby Jasmine, Rex Orange County, The Lumineers, Jessie Reyez, Summer Walker, Jack in Water, Sufjan Stevens, girl in red, The Drums, Frank Ocean, Daniel Caesar, Sody, Rhys Lewis, H.E.R, and gnash. 

Songs: KILL US (Jessie Reyez), The Sun Will Rise (Rhys Lewis), Bedroom Ceiling (Sody), Swallowed In The Sea (Coldplay), Session 32 (Summer Walker), Give Me Your Fire, Give Me Your Rain (The Paper Kites), Visions of Gideon (Sufjan Stevens), and Ivy (Frank Ocean). 

A hype playlist 

This can be used for getting ready or on the way to a bar or party where you need to get a party vibe going. These songs and artists will either take you straight back to the Buckingham or to your favourite fraternity basement. This playlist needs to be a combination of rap, EDM, and throwbacks you can all sing along to. 

Artists: Pop Smoke, Travis Scott, Jay-Z, Drake, Gunna, Young Thug, Tame Impala, Disclosure, Jeremih, Meek Mill, J. Cole, Cash Cash, FISHER, Grouplove, Bastille, Migos, Kodak Black, Flume, Waka Flocka Flame, Rhianna, Lil Mosey, The Weekend, and Arizona Zervas. 

Songs: No Hands (Waka Flocka Flame), Tongue Tied (Grouplove), Take Me Home (Cash Cash), Fight Night (Migos), Good Grief (Bastille), Stir Fry (Migos), Jumpman (Drake), Tunnel Vision (Kodak Black), Say It (Flume), and Going Bad (Meek Mill).

A throwback playlist that triggers your favourite memories

Remember the feeling of singing Mr. Brightside at 2 am with all of your friends? That’s the feeling this playlist needs to evoke. The throwbacks don’t have to be from the 1950s, they can be songs that came out a few years ago but that you have just forgotten about. This playlist is one of my essentials for driving because I can comfortably scream out Sweet Caroline and have an amazing time. 

Artists: ABBA, Gwen Stefani, Journey, Kiss, Bon Jovi, Rick Astley, The Fratellis, The Beatles, Sean Kingston, Jackson 5, TLC, Frankie Valli, Queen, Nelly, Elvis Presley, Oasis, The Rolling Stones, Down With Webster, Katy Perry, and Elton John. 

Songs: Jailhouse Rock (Elvis Presley), Bennie and the Jets (Elton John), Any Way You Want It (Journey), Can’t Take My Eyes Off You (Frankie Valli), Fernando (ABBA), Waterfalls (TLC), Fire Burning (Sean Kingston), Wonderwall (Oasis), and Brown Sugar (The Rolling Stones). 

If you like these suggestions, check out my apple music @hollysgerrard, these playlists are on there with even more songs and artists than listed so if you need to steal them go right ahead. If you know these artists congratulations, you have superior music taste, if not explore them!

Holly Gerrard

U Alberta '22

I am student at the University of Alberta studying History and Linguistics. I love writing for Her Campus because I have an opportunity to talk about mental health on a platform that encourages wellbeing and self love for all in university life.
Simi is a senior at the University of Alberta studying Sociology and Religious Studies. She grew up in Houston Texas and lives by the saying “go big or go home”. She is currently Her Campus Ualberta's Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent. School, volunteering, clubs, and work occupy most of her time. You can find her on Instagram at @simi.bhangoo.