I Went On My First Solo Trip Alone And It Was The Best Decision Of My Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

During Reading Week break, I decided to travel all on my own for the very first time without any friends or family. It was one of the most terrifying and out of my comfort zone experiences of my life but also one of the best things I could have ever done for myself, and I can’t wait to travel on my own again. I normally am a pretty independent person, I like doing things on my own, and especially since starting university, I have started to value the time I spend with myself and the importance of making time to do things on your own. I absolutely love traveling, and when it became clear that no one else would be able to travel with me this reading week, I decided to take the initiative and book a trip for just me. I wasn’t gone a long time, only about five days, but during those five days, I really learned how strong and confident of a person I am. I was able to navigate the craziness of the airports, finding my shuttle, and walking to and from all my different destinations. During this trip, I was challenged every day, and there were times when my anxiety spiked and I felt uncomfortable, but I was able to power through and find my inner strength. I also gained experiences that I would have never have had if I didn’t go on this trip. This trip affirmed to me that I don’t need to always wait for others to go out and do what I want and that I can find happiness just by being myself and doing things that I love. Solo female travel is something that I feel a lot of girls have fear towards, and trust me, it is scary, especially with the current state of the world and how girls are treated differently no matter where you go, but it is something I highly recommend trying at least once. Chances are you will find out so much about yourself as well as help you realize your inner girl power. I can not wait to do this again, and I am already planning my next destination as I type this. 

Rieley Tomkinson

U Alberta '22

Rieley is a third year Elementary Education student at the University of Alberta. When she's not busy studying you can find her binging a new Netflix show, singing along to musicals, playing with her dog or curled up with a new book.
Simi is a senior at the University of Alberta studying Sociology and Religious Studies. She grew up in Houston Texas and lives by the saying “go big or go home”. She is currently Her Campus Ualberta's Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent. School, volunteering, clubs, and work occupy most of her time. You can find her on Instagram at @simi.bhangoo.