Holiday Activities in Edmonton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

I’m a firm believer that there are a million places to find Christmas cheer if you look for it, but when your Christmastime is spent in Edmonton you don’t have to look very hard. Our city offers a wonderful assortment of Christmas activities, festivities, and of course, some great Christmas-y photo opportunities.

Trying to get into the Christmas Spirit on a budget? The Legislature grounds are full of beautifully adorned trees that create a breathtaking light display. Candy Cane Lane requires just a donation to the Edmonton Food Bank as admission, and then you are free to spend your evening strolling or driving through the most decorated of houses, and can even climb aboard a horse-drawn wagon to enjoy the view. Edmonton is home to a multitude of cozy cafes which offer a great place to visit alone or with friends—still have a lot of Christmas cards to write? Why not hit up a local café and settle in for a couple hours of card making! Block 1912 and Little Brick Café are two of my favourite cafés to enjoy some blissful wintertime solitude in—you can even do some Christmas shopping in Little Brick’s general store which is full of locally made goods. Stroll through the 124th Grand Market Holiday Bazaar and enjoy the work of more than 70 vendors as well as the Christmas lights strung up down 124th.

If you can justify spending some extra money at this time of year, you will find yourself with many opportunities to partake in a Christmas activity not just on the weekend, but throughout the whole week. Some of the beloved Edmonton Christmastime performances include The Alberta Ballet’s Nutcracker, A Christmas Carol at the Citadel, and The Singing Christmas Tree. This year, Glow is in Edmonton which features sculptures, a market, and of course, a million lights making it Edmonton’s largest indoor Christmas festival. The Muttart Conservatory has “light walks” every Wednesday and Thursday night which includes extra light installations creating a winter wonderland in the gardens. The University of Alberta Botanic Garden also hosts Luminaria every year (unfortunately their website is currently sold out for the 2018 season, so remember to book early for next year!) which gives you the chance to stroll through pathways lit by thousands of candles, complete with ice sculptures, bonfires, and apple cider.

Experiencing Christmas in Edmonton is a lovely gift. These are only a few of the ways to make the best memories during the most wonderful time of year! Challenge yourself this Christmas season to brave the cold and immerse yourself in the Edmontonian Christmas spirit!

Images used:

2

3

I am finishing up my elementary education degree and excited for what lies ahead. I nurture a passion for tiny humans, the people I love, and a joy-filled heart!
Breanne D

U Alberta '19

Co-founder and proud alumna of Her Campus at UAlberta.