This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

With finals approaching, you may be getting busier and your eating habits may be wavering. When your body is not being appropriately fueled, your brain will not function as well. To finish off the semester strong, pack some of these fast, healthy snacks the night before, so that you have a steady supply of brain food for your busy day!

Veggies and Hummus!

Cut up some broccoli, carrots, bell peppers, celery or your favourite vegetable and put them in containers in portion sizes for the next day (or the next week if meal-prepping is your thing) and put some hummus in a little condiment container. The veggie crunch will help to curb your potato chip cravings (for the time being), and the hummus will give you a tasty protein boost!

Fruit!

Fruit is the easiest snack to eat while you are on the go. Wash your produce, cut it up to make it even easier to eat, and toss it in the fridge to grab in the morning. Pro tip: if you slice an apple and put some lemon juice on it, it will not go brown as quickly!  

BAKE!

If you are one of Cookies By George’s most valued customers, and you start most mornings with the $5 coffee and 2 cookies deal, switch it up by baking. When you bake your own snacks, you can add/opt for healthier ingredients and alternatives. Bake some banana bread with nuts to have a healthier alternative. Bake some home-made muffins with a little bit less sugar, and a little bit more fruit. Pinterest some energy bar or “power energy ball” recipes to have a substitute for store-bought granola bars.

Smoothies!

Take some of your pre-cut fruit, or pick up some pre-cut frozen fruit and divide them into portions, add some spinach or kale, and stick the portions in the freezer. In the morning, toss your serving-sized fruits and veggies, some liquid base (almond milk, orange juice, coconut water) and anything else you might like into a blender and bring a smoothie to school!

Dried Fruits!

While fresh fruits and veggies are the healthier option, dried fruits are a great alternative to candy, and they can really diversify your snacks! Dried cranberries, raisins, dried mango, and so many more options are a great quick and easy snack for the gal on the go!

Nuts and Seeds!

Toss your favourite nuts and seeds in a container and bring them to school with you. Of course be careful to avoid putting those with nut allergies at risk, and wash your hands after! A high-energy snack, nuts and seeds do wonders to keep you sated until your next meal!

Images coutesy of:

1

2

Robin is a senior student at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Alberta. She is getting a Science Degree, with a Psychology major and a double minor in Sociology & Biology. Part-time jobs, full-time classes, various student groups and volunteering fill most of her time. Robin is the 2020/2021 President of Her Campus at UAlberta and served as the social media director for the 2018/2019 year!