This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

Halloween is great – if you love parties and putting yourself out there. Some people, though, (myself included) may not always be down to dress up and interact with a bunch of strangers. So, if you’re in a ~spooky~ mood but don’t want to sacrifice your sense of security, or if you’re just plain lazy, here are some fun Halloween activities to do alone or with a few good friends!

Making Spooky Baskets

You may have seen this trend on social media: you fill those typical jack-o-lantern shaped trick-or-treat buckets with candy, small gifts and other small things for your SO, friends or family members. Things you can put in the basket include:

– Chocolate bars
– Candy
– Popcorn/chips
– Halloween/Horror movies
– Socks/Pajamas
– Makeup/Skincare

Gingerbread Haunted Houses

While Halloween is approaching, most stores already have their spooky stuff on clearance and are clearing the way for Christmas paraphernalia. This is the perfect opportunity to buy a gingerbread house and make it Halloween-y by adding black icing, Halloween-themed candies and spooky piping. This activity is great for small group hangouts, date night, or spending time with kids/younger siblings!

Creepy or Cute Baked Goods

Not into gingerbread? No worries! Turn your lowkey night into one full of sweet and savoury treats – without the tricks. From monster cookies to boo bark, the internet has a ton of delicious-sounding ideas to add more Halloween spirit to your lowkey night in.

Halloween Movie Night

Nothing like a bunch of snacks and some Halloween movies to get you in a spooky mood! Make it a marathon of horror movies, or general Halloween-themed classics! (Check out Bethany’s article “Feminist Horror Flix” or Rieley’s article “Not-So Spooky Movies” for some great recommendations!)

Maia de Borja

U Alberta '21

Maia (my-uh) is in her fourth year at the University of Alberta. She is working towards a Bachelor of Secondary Education with a major in English and minor in ESL. In her spare time you can find Maia studying with a chai latte close by, at the gym, at one of her three part time jobs,volunteering or exploring town with her boyfriend and friends (usually in the pursuit of good food!) You can follow her on Instagram at @maiadeborja
Robin is a senior student at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Alberta. She is getting a Science Degree, with a Psychology major and a double minor in Sociology & Biology. Part-time jobs, full-time classes, various student groups and volunteering fill most of her time. Robin is the 2020/2021 President of Her Campus at UAlberta and served as the social media director for the 2018/2019 year!