Halloween Costumes: What Counts As Cultural Appropriation?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

Since Halloween is approaching, it is time to start thinking about our costumes (if you haven’t  already)! One aspect of dressing up that hasn’t been given enough attention is cultural appropriation.  Cultural appropriation is the use of aesthetics, customs, sacred items, or dress of a culture by a member of a different culture, (usually one that is more privileged in terms of western society) in a manner that  does not demonstrate respect for that culture. This practice is harmful as it can reinforce and reduce an entire culture and its members to a stereotype. 

Cultural appropriation is not myself, an Asian woman, wearing western styles of dress. If I want to  be taken seriously and look like I belong, I can’t walk around wearing a hanfu to school or work. That is  why I have reservations with costumes titled “China doll” that make my race seem exotic and inappropriately sexualized. This also feeds into the historical context where Asian women were  hypersexualized by white men. Carrying/wearing items sacred to a culture, such as wearing a feathered headdress, is also improper because they are reserved for special people and only worn for certain ceremonies. 

In relation to this is wearing makeup to change the colour of the skin. This is what Prime  Minister Justin Trudeau came under fire for when it was found that he wore brown face for an Arabian  Nights themed party. This has historical connections too, black face was used by white performers in minstrel shows to mock and degrade black people in the 1800s. Now, there are ways to be respectful. If  you wanted to dress up as Princess Tiana from Disney’s The Princess and the Frog, wearing Tiana’s green  dress is fine! However, if you are light-skinned, you shouldn’t seek to darken your skin tone or wear a  black curly wig. I wouldn’t recommend dressing up as Pocahontas because that ignores the legacy of colonialism and the mass genocide of Native Americans. 

You can pretend to be these people for one night, then unzip the cloth and wipe off the make up, never having to face the discrimination and stereotypes those groups have. Cultures are not costumes; there are many other things to dress up as. I encourage you to be creative to have a safe and  fun Halloween!

Alexa Gee

U Alberta '21

Alexa Gee is a senior at the University of Alberta. She is completing a Bachelor of Science with a Biology major and Sociology minor.
Robin is a senior student at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Alberta. She is getting a Science Degree, with a Psychology major and a double minor in Sociology & Biology. Part-time jobs, full-time classes, various student groups and volunteering fill most of her time. Robin is the 2020/2021 President of Her Campus at UAlberta and served as the social media director for the 2018/2019 year!