This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

I’m sure that many of you reading this have had an experience similar to mine—you’re on a dating app, doing your thing, losing your faith in the existence of love minute by minute, and you read this sentence on a profile of a guy who thinks he’s soooo creative:

“I like every kind of music besides country.”

Which, yes, I can understand. I am not afraid to admit that a lot of modern country music is garbage. I said it, are you happy? If I get in a car and CISN is playing on the radio, I will jump out. Yes, even if the car is moving.

However, country music as a whole does not deserve such a negative reputation. There are some good country artists and songs out there, if you know where to look! In this article, I’m going to be profiling some of my favourite country artists and songs, all of which have softened my attitude towards country music…well, at least a little bit. So put on your cowboy boots and give these songs a listen!

Dolly Parton

I think it is relatively common knowledge that “Jolene” by Dolly Parton is an absolute banger. It wouldn’t have that reputation if it wasn’t one! However, Dolly has a very large discography that  is chock full of many more bops, ones that should get the same amount of attention that Jolene does. Here are some of my favourites:

Kacey Musgraves

She recently won the Grammy award for Album of the Year for Golden Hour, and she deserves it. Kacey Musgraves makes great music– both catchy tunes that will lift your mood, or the emotional tunes that make you feel like the lonesome cowgirl you are deep down inside. She is bringing a new life to the modern country music industry– for example, she is inspired by the disco grooves of ELO, which you can hear in the song “High Horse”! Here are some of my favourite songs by her:

Tired of the bops, and want a good cry? I gotchu, girl. Give these a listen:

Patsy Cline

I know what you’re thinking– and yes. You’re correct. I am, in fact, eighty years old. If meaning loving Patsy Cline makes me an old lady, then I’m an old lady and proud of it! Patsy Cline is amazing, and more people our age should know about her music. She had an amazing voice! Patsy Cline’s music can be fun, or perfect to cry your heart out to. Here are some of my favourites by her! At least give them a listen so you’ll have something to talk about with your Grandma.

And here are some her bops!

That’s it for artists I’m profiling in depth, but I’m going to leave this article off with some more of my favourite songs by some amazing artists. Happy Listening!

Tear-Jearkers by Willie Nelson:

• “Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain” and “Always on My Mind” by Willie Nelson

Songs to Sing at the top of your lungs by John Denver:

• “Take Me Home Country Roads”, “Sweet Surrender”, and “Rocky Mountain High” by John Denver

Protest Songs: aka Johnny Cash was really woke and nobody knows that about him:

• “Man in Black” and “The Ballad of Ira Hayes” by Johnny Cash

Songs to Dance to by Alberta’s treasure: kd lang:

• “Don’t be a Lemming Polka” and “Hanky Panky” by k.d lang

KESHA DOES COUNTRY??? Yes she does!

• “Hunt You Down” and “Spaceship”

Gentle, soothing songs by Don Williams

• “I Recall a Gypsy Woman” and “You’re My Best Friend”

Image courtesy:

1

Bethany is a 21 year-old with a big heart and even bigger dreams attending the University of Alberta. She loves writing and reading, video games, daydreaming, and her dog, Pepper.