This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

Girl, Stop Apologizing by Rachel Hollis

This book is probably one of my all-time favorites. It’s not one of those cheesy self-help books telling you to drink water and do yoga every week. Girl, stop apologizing is all about getting your shit together, making goals, and following through with them.

This book is honest and really real. It’s about how people operate and how they make excuses on why they can’t achieve theft goals. It puts self-defeating thoughts and behaviors into perspective. It’s a really great book for those who have goals they want to accomplish in 2020.

My Lovely Wife In The Psychward by Mark Lukach

I have read this book multiple times over a few years now and it’s probably the most beautifully written memoir I’ve ever read. It’s about a husband documenting his wife’s journey with bipolar disorder and her hospitalizations. If you are into memoirs and biographies this book might be great for you, even if you have a mental illness. It shines a light on bipolar disorder and the hope and strength that comes with it. It’s a very powerful read and probably better than The Notebook. This book is filled with raw, real emotions and feelings that anyone could relate to if you have a mental illness or if someone you love has a mental illness. This book teaches you about strength in numbers and the power of love.

IT by Alexa Chung 

To be honest with you, I never really was a fan of hers and only really knew about her from the time she dated the arctic monkey’s frontman, Alex Turner. However, I was drawn to this book. Maybe it was how personal this book is. The book takes you through pretty much all the major parts of her life. To be honest with you there is something calming about this read. It’s like a diary. This book has great advice for style, heartbreak, love, and self-confidence. Even if you’re not a fan of hers, her story is quite interesting and her advice is really relatable.

#GirlBoss by Sophia Amoruso

Whether you are a fan of Nasty Girl or like books about achieving your goals and ambition, this book is worth picking up and giving a chance. This book is pretty much a tell-all of being self-made and hustling to achieve your dreams and how hard work and dedication can take you anywhere. This book teaches you that you need to work hard and give it your all to get what you want in life

This book screams female empowerment and being a female who’s a businesswoman and kicking ass while doing it.

Power Thoughts  by Louis Hay

This isn’t so much of a reading book or novel. It is more so a small book you can keep next to your bed or in your bag that you can make part of your daily routine. These small passages have daily positive affirmations ranging from any topic and it helps you look on the positive side of life and helps you start your day in the most positive way.

Kate Puim

U Alberta '24

Visual Communications graduate turned psychology student. I'm a master at finding affordable beauty products and stylish outfits. I dig coffee, chocolate, bold lipstick and pandas. Mental health advocate and your new best friend.
Simi is a senior at the University of Alberta studying Sociology and Religious Studies. She grew up in Houston Texas and lives by the saying “go big or go home”. She is currently Her Campus Ualberta's Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent. School, volunteering, clubs, and work occupy most of her time. You can find her on Instagram at @simi.bhangoo.