This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

This article is all the basic information you need to know for the election. Each partys platform is linked below so read up, know your stuff, and go out and vote!

When?

Election day is October 21, 2019. 

There are also four days of advance polls on Oct. 11, 12, 13 and 14.

Who?

Any Canadian citizens that are 18 years or older that have registered to vote.

(You can also register when you go in to vote, just make sure you have your ID or something that has your current address and can prove your identity)

Where?

Everyone has a specific polling station, which can be found on your voter information card. You can also find out by going to https://www.elections.ca/scripts/vis/FindED?L=e&PAGEID=20

Extra Tidbits:

Can I vote for no one?

Totally your call, voting is a personal choice. If you go to vote and don’t choose anyone, it will be counted as a “rejected ballot.” In some provinces, unmarked ballots are actually counted. 

Will I be able to vote for a prime minister?

No, that’s not how it works. You are essentially voting for your local member of Parliament, the person running in your riding. The leader of the party with the most elected members of Parliament typically forms the government and becomes prime minister. 

Who’s running and what are their platforms?

Below is a list of who’s running, their slogan, and a link to their platforms (most of which are very clearly laid out and are an easy read).

Liberals – “Choose forward”

Conservatives – “It’s time for you to get ahead”

(I just want to say that I couldn’t actually find a distinctly laid out platform, the website wasn’t very user friendly but I think the first link may be their platform)

Green Party – “Not left. Not right. Forward together”

NDP – “In it for you”

Bloc Quebecois – “Le Quebec, c’est nous”

Peoples Party – “Strong and free”

Sources:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-voter-guide-2019-federal-election-1.5260336

Simi is a senior at the University of Alberta studying Sociology and Religious Studies. She grew up in Houston Texas and lives by the saying “go big or go home”. She is currently Her Campus Ualberta's Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent. School, volunteering, clubs, and work occupy most of her time. You can find her on Instagram at @simi.bhangoo.