This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

Why did you choose to join HC?

I have always loved to write. Her Campus gives me a creative outlet to write about what I am passionate about. It’s also a very empowering international community of women that has given me endless opportunities. Her Campus has allowed me to grow as a person and writer, and I could not be more thankful for that. 

What does a typical day look like for you? Imagine you were vlogging your day, what would that vlog look like?

Typically I wake up around 8 am and get ready for school. I head to school around 9:20ish to get to my 10am class on time. The next 4-5 hours are spent at school, either in class or studying. I always bring lunch from home, so I don’t spend tons of time waiting in incredibly long lines. I typically head home around 2-3ish after my classes. When I get back, I spend time with my pups and get some studying done before I head to a fitness class. The class usually takes an hour out of my evening, and I go home and have dinner and watch a little TV and get some more studying done. My self-imposed bedtime is 10pm. That is my preferred latest time to be in bed, and I usually read for half an hour or an hour. That is my day in a nutshell. It does vary day to day, but for the majority of the week, that’s my life!

What do you think of when you think about UAlberta? What’s the first thing that comes to mind (don’t overthink it!)

I immediately think of school, and for some reason, I picture the Butterdome (even though I never go there). 

Go-to meal/ food spot on Campus?

You can never go wrong with Timmies. It’s cheap and depending on what you order, it is excellent comfort food. 

Go-to study spot on Campus?

If I’m studying on campus, you can find me in the Rutherford Library.

If you weren’t in university (or at least if you weren’t in your current program and career path), what would you be doing?

I hope I would be a successful singer. I have always loved singing ever since I was little, and I got to do lots of it in high school. It’s a huge passion of mine, and I still do it, just not to the extent of it being my future path.

Jumping off from that, what are you most passionate about right now? (or in general)

I am super passionate about singing, writing, reading, watching tv, dessert, and spending time with my fam.

What’s the biggest lesson you’ve learned recently? (i.e., in the past year or since the semester started)

Putting myself first is the most important thing for my well being. I have to look after myself first, because, at the end of the day, the person that’s gonna look after me is me (except maybe my mama, she’s great).

Last series you binge-watched?

The Office. It’s fantastic, this was my second time bingeing it, and it gets better every time.

What’s the last book you read?

Not including my textbooks, I most recently read Persuasion by Jane Austin.

Top 3 songs right now?

I’m gonna give you 4 because I can:

Teeth by 5 Seconds of Summer (Impatiently waiting for their next album)

Uproar by Lil Wayne

Forever by Lewis Capaldi

Falling by Harry Styles 

What’s one misconception you feel people have of you? 

I’ve been told I’m a scary person to approach. I promise I’m not scary, I’m mostly a nice person :)

What does your YouTube suggested feed look like?

A lot of James Corden, I think his segments are hilarious, especially “Take A Break,” and of course some random music videos. 

What does your Instagram explore page look like? 

A lot of random celebrities, some tv show memes, political memes, current events.

What’s one thing you’re looking forward to in the coming academic year? (or year in general?) 

I am looking forward to being almost done my undergrad. This time next year I will be graduating! I also really like that I finally get to take 400 level classes that are more specific to the topics I want to learn about. 

How would you say HC has impacted your life?

HC has allowed me a creative outlet to express my every thought, feeling, and passion. Not only that, but it has given me a group of girls that are as driven and passionate about Her Campus as I am. I am forever grateful to this organization for all the opportunities it has given me and all the people it has brought into my life.

What is your vision for HC?

I want to continue to grow our chapter and make more people aware of who we are. This year is going to be all about building our chapter, through awesome content, amazing members, and some very exciting events.

What do you wish more people knew about HC?

We are not a scary organization. I feel like most people think they can’t write and so they don’t want to join our organization. However, I always say everyone can write because all we ask is that our members write about what they are passionate about. Typically when people do that, the writing just flows. As the Editor in Chief, it’s my responsibility to make sure what we post is good and comprehensive, so no one should be scared about writing. I also want people to know that we are a very inclusive group that is looking for writers of all genders and backgrounds, so don’t hesitate to reach out!

Simi is a senior at the University of Alberta studying Sociology and Religious Studies. She grew up in Houston Texas and lives by the saying “go big or go home”. She is currently Her Campus Ualberta's Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent. School, volunteering, clubs, and work occupy most of her time. You can find her on Instagram at @simi.bhangoo.
Ver-Se Denga

U Alberta '21

Ver-Se is in her 4th year of uni, studying Biology and Psychology and serving as Senior Editor of the UAlberta Chapter. She loves to read and can't imagine a world without Chimamanda Adichie in it.