This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

Fast fashion has grown popular, changing the patterns of consumerism. Clothing has become cheaper and disposable, allowing for many shopping hauls to build a trendy wardrobe for each season. It has become popular because it is so affordable for teenagers and University students with many stores like H&M and Zara making billions of dollars each year. Unfortunately, this comes with a price: fast fashion is polluting the earth and factory workers that make the garments are mistreated.

1. Pollution

Clothes are made with toxic chemicals, like lead to dye the clothes, which make their way into clean waterways. Developing countries, where labour is typically outsourced, sometimes depend on coal to power their electricity in the factories. The use of coal is particularly bad for the environment, releasing greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, contributing to climate change.

Clothes are not made to have a long lifespan; the quality is cheaper than more expensively priced ones. That means most articles end up in the landfill. Polyester and other synthetic fabrics are oil-based, which is non-biodegradable. Since there are clothes being made every second of every day, landfills are overwhelmed with discarded clothes.

2. Labour

Labour for these fast-fashion brands is outsourced to countries with less strict labour laws, like in Bangladesh or Vietnam. Most of the factory workers are women and children, who work long hours for a less-than-living wage; their exploited work is why the clothes are so affordable for us. They are subjected to toxic chemicals and back-breaking work, a clear human rights violation.

3. How to be Ethical

Instead of participating in fast fashion, there is a new movement: sustainable fashion. It is not always feasible to save-up $60 for a jacket at a higher-end store, when one could use that money for 3-4 pieces at a fast-fashion store. Sustainable clothing can still be affordable, even if it is slightly more expensive. Girlfriend Collective is a brand that strives to make ethically-made activewear, with reasonably affordable prices. Their products can be found in stores in the US and Canada, and online. Don’t throw any of your old clothes away. You can always donate or sell them to second-hand/used clothes shops and consider shopping there as well. 

Alexa Gee

U Alberta '21

Alexa Gee is a senior at the University of Alberta. She is completing a Bachelor of Science with a Biology major and Sociology minor.
Robin is a senior student at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Alberta. She is getting a Science Degree, with a Psychology major and a double minor in Sociology & Biology. Part-time jobs, full-time classes, various student groups and volunteering fill most of her time. Robin is the 2020/2021 President of Her Campus at UAlberta and served as the social media director for the 2018/2019 year!