This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

Recently, my partner and I found ourselves lounging on the couch on a lazy Saturday afternoon with one thing on our minds, doughnuts! Not wanting to drive clear across the city or drop loads of cash, we were stumped. After some quick Instagram research, we decided to go ahead and give Ohana Donuterie a shot, and we sure weren’t disappointed! 

Photo by Stephanie Shin

This little gem is located just off Whyte Avenue, and not only boasts an adorable interior, but free parking as well. One step through the doors, and you are transported far away from a rather cold and sometimes gloomy Edmonton to a tropical and cheery island getaway. 

My partner and I both chose to order the feature doughnuts of the day/month. While my partner enjoyed a caramel toffee doughnut, I, in true fall fashion, ordered the pumpkin spice doughnut. Let me tell you, these doughnuts are absolutely incredible, and blew both of our expectations away.  While I’m admittedly not a doughnut fanatic, these doughnuts are different in the best possible way. Still fresh out of the fryer, these doughnuts are stuffed with custards and creams while they are still warm, then glazed and topped with all sorts of delicious toppings.

While sweet, these doughnuts are not greasy or heavy, which means that you won’t feel like you just ate a brick after polishing one–or more–of these fluffy bad boys off. Best of all? Not only does Ohana Donuterie serve up amazing and delicious treats for folks like myself with no major dietary restrictions, they also have gluten free and vegan options for those who do have various dietary restrictions!

So, next time you find yourself craving something sweet, I highly recommend you make your way over to Ohana Donuterie to treat yourself, I promise you won’t regret it!

Stephanie Shin

U Alberta '22

Stephanie Shin (she/her) is a third year honours pre-law student, majoring in sociology and minoring in political science. When she's not studying fervently, you can find her enjoying a book, sipping at a cup of tea, playing with her miniature dachshund, Bentley, and spending entirely too much money on food.
Robin is a senior student at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Alberta. She is getting a Science Degree, with a Psychology major and a double minor in Sociology & Biology. Part-time jobs, full-time classes, various student groups and volunteering fill most of her time. Robin is the 2020/2021 President of Her Campus at UAlberta and served as the social media director for the 2018/2019 year!