Kristen Bryant-Girl Lounging Relax Logo 2
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus

A Day in the Life of a Laid Off University Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

Right now is a time where most people are confused regarding what they are supposed to be doing. How productive do I need to be? Should I be learning a new language? Reading my second book of the day? Do I need to leave my home with six-pack abs when we no longer require to be distanced? The truth is no one has these answers. For that reason, I will give an honest look into my day. This is definitely not to brag about my productivity but to show an honest look at someone else’s routine.

The first thing I do in a day is check my socials and emails. Right now, I am staring at my email like a hawk, waiting for grades to come in and interesting spring classes to become open. I highly suggest taking a spring semester as it is cheaper than normal with fee removal due to Covid-19 and our freed-up schedules.

I then clean my house. Well my parent’s house because let’s face it, I’m broke. I turn on the TV to Love Island and basically clean until its spotless. I even use Wood Refresher. Who am I becoming, a housewife?

12:30 is usually Ramen time. It is basically the only thing I have the energy to cook. I want to point out I feel no need to learn to become a chef in this time. If you have a real interest do it but if not do not feel guilty about your TV dinners because I sure don’t.

In the afternoon I get some kind of exercise in. I like to pretend I do this for health reasons but let’s be honest I do it in the name of vanity. I try to get 10,000 steps in with a majority of them being uphill. I also follow Whitney Simmons At Home Program. The Program is all done at once, but the steps are done in segments.

Dinner happens between 5:30 and 8:00 pm, a large margin I know. Usually, dinner is provided to me. Probably the best part of living at home.

I spend the rest of the night watching Netflix, Hayu, or Prime video depending on my mood. I fall asleep at around 2:00am and wake up at 11:00am. Do you see how little I do in a day? The truth is I don’t think I need to feel bad about it and neither should any of you. I am doing as much as I feel I can and that’s all you should be trying to do as well.  

Megan Pratt

U Alberta '21

Megan is in her third year at the University of Alberta. While pursuing a law degree can seem like her entire identity at times, she considers herself a horror film critic, as well as a fitness and food enthusiast.
Simi is a senior at the University of Alberta studying Sociology and Religious Studies. She grew up in Houston Texas and lives by the saying “go big or go home”. She is currently Her Campus Ualberta's Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent. School, volunteering, clubs, and work occupy most of her time. You can find her on Instagram at @simi.bhangoo.